• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are you working on in your grappling training?

I am focusing on attacking from the guard more. My instructor is happy with my Top game, and wants me to push my bottom more for attacking. Right now though I am focusing on guard control, and guard recovery. Usually I Feel I am on the defensive with me focusing more on fighting some one who is trying to pass my guard, as opposed to actually threating them with a sweep or submission. So I have been working on guard control more so I can work on attacking better.

what about every one?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am focusing on attacking from the guard more. My instructor is happy with my Top game, and wants me to push my bottom more for attacking. Right now though I am focusing on guard control, and guard recovery. Usually I Feel I am on the defensive with me focusing more on fighting some one who is trying to pass my guard, as opposed to actually threating them with a sweep or submission. So I have been working on guard control more so I can work on attacking better.

what about every one?

I'm not working on any technique, per se, but I need to work on using technique to beat someone stronger than me. I went to my first no-gi grappling tournament last month and was eliminated in my very first match because they guy was so strong that he was able to physically immobilize my hips FROM INSIDE MY GUARD (my guard game is good, at least for a Judoka, and I typically land armbars and triangles very easily from it) so I couldn't do any submissions, and then when he finally passed my guard he just squeezed my head into his massive chest and smothered me until I tapped for lack of oxygen.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Butterfly and x guard sweeps. Been trying them for a while with no success, and then something clicked in place and I'm hitting them with high levels of success.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Unfortunately, nothing right now. If/when my schedule cooperates, I hope to get back to doing some grappling at the DT club. When I get back to DT training with my old partner, I plan to at least work on some different takedowns and sweeps. It would be a start.

As always, getting tighter position. Espicially from top. Less space. Also, I'm working on hitting every step for every movement. Getting the fundimentals tighter and tighter.

On the technique front, which is less important than the first item on the list to my mind, I'm spending time in half guard and deep half.

As a last priority, I'm keeping up on my notebook and getting it transferred to word documents. It's great review.

Grappling in general...wrestling. Ugh. BJJ - sweeps and standups when my lack of wrestling shows its head.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

scissor sweep, scissor sweep, scissor sweep!

although my Judo is pretty strong, a few of the guys at the dojo have wrestling backgrounds, and I keep winding up on my back pretty quickly even after getting my throw off. For the past 2 years I've been following that situation by getting right into my guard and going for submissions…

but we have a new sensei, and he's not happy that I remain on my back and work from there as my only option. So we've been working on all matter of sweeps. against most of my training partners I can get back to my feet, or roll into a more neutral position pretty quickly…. but against the guys with wrestling backgrounds, i usually get one shot and the scissor sweep is the one i seem to be having the most problem with.

3 months of scissor sweeps has forced me to change my leg days at the gym, just because my thighs burn to the point of not being able to walk the morning after training

• 1 month later...