• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is your class structure at your dojo/gym/school?

We don't really have a standard structure. Every lesson is different. We do have set lessons each week geared towards something, like Thursdays are sparring and fitness whereas Tuesday is a more technical session. But they're never the same each week. One week we'll be doing tons of pad work in the sparring class, the next week we'll spend the entire time just sparring. Or like today we had to run round the field and do sprints up and down the football pitch before sparring.

Even the warm-up/cool-downs are different each time. I think it keeps training interesting as you get to class and don't know what we will be doing.

Nice! Seems you have a basic structure though. Yeah if a program gets to rigid students can get bored and leave.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mon. Wed. Fri.:

We use pre class time to stretch.

Then jump rope, and military compound exercises (push-up to squat, thrust and jumps), and then high tempo rolling to get the muscles warm and get a serious sweat going.

After that half the class breaks into 1 on 1 Judo, while the other half rolls against each other with Jujutsu. All instruction is done by sensei's watching and walking around during the class. No separate instruction time. After 1 hour we switch.

Some go home after that, but following the 2 hour class there's always an aikido class that lasts about an hour.

Thurs. Sun.: Kenjutsu/Jojutsu

Same warm-up as Judo/JJJ class, but followed by 45 minutes or so of randori. After that we'll either suit up for some kendo matches, or work on using our aikido more as aikijujutsu with either the Jo or katana as a prop.

Only 3 of us currently take both the Judo/JJJ + the Aikido + the kenjutsu/jojutsu. It's all required for rank advancement, but we get a bunch of students that are cops and mainly looking for the more MMA-ish program.

Only 3 of us currently take both the Judo/JJJ + the Aikido + the kenjutsu/jojutsu. It's all required for rank advancement, but we get a bunch of students that are cops and mainly looking for the more MMA-ish program.

I know how that goes. Between work and family time, its hard to devote that much time to MA training. I'm lucky if I can get 2 days a week into a class. Otherwise, I'm on my own at home.

We don't really have a standard structure. Every lesson is different. We do have set lessons each week geared towards something, like Thursdays are sparring and fitness whereas Tuesday is a more technical session. But they're never the same each week. One week we'll be doing tons of pad work in the sparring class, the next week we'll spend the entire time just sparring. Or like today we had to run round the field and do sprints up and down the football pitch before sparring.

Even the warm-up/cool-downs are different each time. I think it keeps training interesting as you get to class and don't know what we will be doing.

Nice! Seems you have a basic structure though. Yeah if a program gets to rigid students can get bored and leave.

Yeah is pretty good. My instructor is always coming up with new exercises to do too so even if we're working on a certain muscle group over a few weeks, it'll be with different exercises each session to work the muscles in different ways. I think he reads Men's Health too much :lol:

Downside though is you have to be prepared to do anything when you get to class. So if you've had a rough day and just want to go work on some forms or fundamentals you can get to class and he'll be like "Put your trainers on, let's go outside" and you'll end up having to run round the block. Or if you're really psyched up and want to do some hard sparring it can end up being a really technical lesson where you're drilling things really precisely over and over again.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

We ususally start with a warm up, either running followed by stretches or hip work on the mats, or both.

Technique come next. Usually this starts with a postion and movement, then a submission to finish. Depending on the complexity, there might be many steps to work thru the whole sequence.

We might do three movements at most. Usually the first two will be closely linked or variations on a theme.

Then we move to rounds of work from the position we drilled in technique. Usually 6, 2 min rounds.

Finish with 45 min- 60 min of free roll

• 3 months later...

Allot of schools have an A & B class.

Forms & Sparring type splits.

My classes we just teach curriculum which means no class planning required.

We practice each area for 2 weeks - 4 lessons then progress to the next section - enough for people to get the core basics and able to build on to it without getting bored.

My classes we just teach curriculum which means no class planning required.

This is how our classes are in TKD. Its great for teaching, because you don't have to come up with many class ideas; its already laid out for you. The downside is that it doesn't allow for impromptu stuff and changing things up doesn't happen very often. Also, since we kind of follow that kihon/kata/kumite format, it tends to feel like we fall into a rut at times.

For the most of the time...[Nothing's set in stone]

*Mokuso

*Address any vital information

*Warm-ups

*Reviews

*Curriculum/syllabus training per kyu/dan [Major majority of class is conducted here]

*Cool-down

*Mokuso

At the Hombu...it's WHATEVER the Chief Instructor/Kancho and/or I/Kaicho wants to do when he's/I'm on the floor.

Either way, no student is ever left unchallenged!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!