• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kicking the air?

When my instructor has us go up and down the floor doing kick combinations in the air how far are you suppose to kick? My instructor told me when I first started to go slow, but as I got use to it I could kick the air as hard as I could. He always talks about snapping your kicks. So I have been doing this for a few months and have started developing knee pain. Any one have any suggestions on how far they kick, when kicking the air. Do you go all the way or stop short?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my instructor has us go up and down the floor doing kick combinations in the air how far are you suppose to kick? My instructor told me when I first started to go slow, but as I got use to it I could kick the air as hard as I could. He always talks about snapping your kicks. So I have been doing this for a few months and have started developing knee pain. Any one have any suggestions on how far they kick, when kicking the air. Do you go all the way or stop short?

You are going to tear up your knees if you kick the air full-force to full-extension. It's going to take a while longer before you can increase to full-force kicks in the air, but still don't fully extend them because that is going to seriously stress the ligaments and cartilage in your knees. It takes time to develop your kicks in the air, and it will teach you to have very good control with your kicks later, so take your time so you can keep kicking into old age.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Agree with everyone here so far. When you kick without hitting a target the knee can over extend and stretch ligaments causing the femur and the tibeal plateau to "smack" together when the ligaments un-stretch. The cartilidge in between will eventually thin out or even tear. Students must be careful not the "snap" the kick in this way but learn to use the muscles of the thigh and calf to support the joint at full extension. The "snap" your instructor may be referring to is the speed of recoil which if done fast enough greats a transfer of energy much like when you "snap" a towel.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I'd say that my roundhouse has lost power due to 1. repeatedly kicking air; 2. repeatedly kicking a small hand-held target. You have to stop yourself when you do either of these, and while it may or may not be affecting others, I've found that the only way for me to control the kick is to hold back, doing more of a "flicking" motion than a true kick. Against a kick shield, just give me a few to warm up, and I'm slamming. Against a WaveMaster, I can really feel the power when my shin strikes instead of my instep. :D

I have found in the past, and it's never changed, that my balance and delivery with this kick are better when I'm hitting something solid than when I'm not.

I do respect when we do a chain of called out moves (my teacher refers to them as Ki Cho exercises), and the kick has to go against air. It might be that we do the roundhouse, drop the foot down to chain it with a spinning back kick, and then throw a reverse punch. But it has to lead into practice with a partner holding a target, and I get different results if it's a small hand-held one :evil: or a kick shield. :karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I'd agree with everything that has been said already. I'd add though that another important aspect of practicing in the air without a target is that in going against an opponent, whether in a tournament or in self-defense, you're not always going to connect with the person. Knowing how a technique feels if you don't make contact can help you recover from it more quickly. However, as has been said, make sure you're doing it properly. Slow down if need be and work on proper technique and then worry about building speed and force later.

If one is kicking air at full power, then one has to focus on retracting at full power. In other words, focus on pulling the leg as fast as kicking out. Otherwise, one is at risk of hyper extension since there is nothing (heavy bag) slowing the leg down before the joint locks out.

In addition to the hyper extension issue, the leg is also susceptible to a hamstring pull because it's being extremely stretched with full force.

And be careful to ensure that the knees are naturally rotated. For example, the snapping side kick can be hazardous because the knee was not designed to move sideways.

We kick the air a lot with the basics and forms we do. I try to focus on using the muslces in the leg to stop the kick, and not just the fact that my leg stops when its all the way out.

But, this could be why my knees hurt like they do, too.

Snapping out kicks and punches at full power and at full extension never works out well for you. Use the air to work on technique for now and use the heavy bag for power.

Simple... and well said.