• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why no water?

rmurray

I've always trained pretty much at the same dojo. Our sessions are between 1.5-2 hours long. Some days the workouts are fairly lax and other days they are quite vigorous. Last night for example we did 200 kicks with each leg in addition to warm ups, ippons, heavy bag and kata. We NEVER; regardless of the length of workout or intensity, take a break to drink some water. I've worked out a little bit with my dad and his club and it's the same thing. No water breaks. I've played other sports at different levels and the need to hydrate seems to be widely accepted from little league to college ball. I see the pros on tv: baseball, basketball, hockey, footbal etc. drinking during their games (I assume they drink at practice) From what I understand about sports science and nutrition, some water would be beneficial to reduce fatigue and get the most out of a vigorous workout.

So how about it guys? Do you take 5 for some h2o when you're at the dojo? Is this phenomenon unique to where I workout (an oversight by sensei?) or is there possibly some karate tradition that prohibits taking a water break. I don't want to ask my sensei because it will sound like complaining. I can survive without it. It's just kind of a mystery to me.

Unending Love,

Amazing Grace

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I take water breaks while I'm working out. My students take water breaks during class. To hydrate is vitally important during class/training, and it's vitally important to hydrate before class/training.

Whenever I do take a break, I avoid taking huge gulps of water, though, and avoid taking in too much water during a single break.

Also, discuss your concerns with your Sensei, imho, it's not complaining to ask a simple question. However, it's complaining when your demanding.

I can see no water breaks if the class lasts 45 minutes because the time training might only last for about 30 minutes, and surely, one can last that long before re-hydrating.

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

A lot of places I've been to don't take water breaks. Conversely, a lot of places I've been to do take water breaks. It all boils down to what their instructor did before them, or if they've got a heavy background in another sport. Age might play some consideration as well.

Not sure when it ended, but for a long time giving water was considered weak even during football practices in the US. They sought to build mental toughness by making you push through the fatigue. That's fallen by the wayside now thanks to sports science, but a lot of martial artists don't pay attention to sports science.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

After a workout, do you ever feel light headed, have an upset stomach, feel like you're going to puke or pass out? Do you know the reason? Odds are: you're dehydrated. Severely dehydrated. Exercising while severely dehydrated is what in the exercise science community is called 'extremely dangerous' or sometimes 'really stupid'. I could cite dozens upon dozens of studies showing that dehydration reduces muscle endurance, makes recovery harder, reduces memory and concentration, increases the odds of injury or accidents, and so on. Hell, if I really wanted to, I could probably find one showing that water intake increases your height.

In short, yes, you should be drinking water while working out, and yes, you should be drinking water through out the day as well.

In summer we would have water breaks every half hour to prevent the kids from gulping down a bellyfull and then honking it back up on the mat. In winter there would only be a general five minutes between the first and second hour when you could hydrate if you wished. Personally I prefer a little and often than drinking either side of a two-three hour session but one also has to be mindful of the disruption caused by young (and old) bladders...

Dehydration is bad--we don't take breaks from class specifically to drink water except during intense classes or kids' classes, but we are always allowed to keep a water bottle next to the mat and grab a drink when we need it.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Most people here have the right idea- training without hydrating is not going to make you tough- its going to make you tired. Either way you slice it, when you're dehydrated your athletic ability is severely hampered. Drink water, stay on top of your game, and allow yourself to workout harder because you're hydrated.

In my class we usually don't take water breaks, but if someone requests one, they can take it. I make sure to load up on water before and after class though.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.