• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

On My Own

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's one of a number of voice over internet software packages. Skype's particular advantage is that it is connected with a telephone service, and can make and receive calls from telephones. It will do group calls up to 5 people, and can use a webcam if you are so inclined, if I recall correctly.

It is in a similar category as Mumble or Ventrilo, often used by computer gamers to coordinate, though those are designed more for large gatherings and require a host system to be set up.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

No worries, Bob. :) The camera connected to your laptop should work fine. :)

You could always start a thread in General Chat asking if anyone wants to share their Skype ID. :)

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick,

Laptop cameras in general, are they a pretty low quality? How small would the playback be?

Once someone shares their Skype ID with me, we both could train together via the Skype...right?

Thanks!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

No worries, Bob. :) The camera connected to your laptop should work fine. :)

You could always start a thread in General Chat asking if anyone wants to share their Skype ID. :)

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick,

Laptop cameras in general, are they a pretty low quality? How small would the playback be?

Once someone shares their Skype ID with me, we both could train together via the Skype...right?

Thanks!!

This is true. I have done this form of training a few times with others and it is great way to share from a distance.

Plus it allows people to get to know each other than just from a forum. I think someone brought up how long it can take before you really trust someone without facial expression.

Hey Bob,

The quality of the footage and audio depends on your equipment (your computer, microphone and camera) and the strength of your internet connection. Some laptop cameras are nice, some are not.

If you find that your built in camera is not good, you can always buy nicer one. They aren't too expensive. This is the one I use: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-720p-Webcam-Pro-9000/dp/B002M78ECK/

This one is nicer: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-1080p-Webcam-Pro-C910/dp/B003M2YT96/

With decent webcams and connections on all ends of the call, you can put it in full screen and expect decent quality video.

Same for the sound. If the built in mic is bad, you can always buy a different one.

If you have a decent high speed connection, you should be OK. I would guess (just a guess as I have no idea what it actually takes) that as long as you have an upload speed of .50 Mbps or more, you should be good. You can run a speed test here: http://www.speedtest.net

(If you are on wireless, try having a connection directly wired from the router, it'll improve the quality and stability of the connection).

For what it's worth, when I chatted with Jeff the other day, he put video on (I would have if I was ready, heh) and it looked great to me. Pretty sure he's using built in equipment. But, all built in equipment isn't the same, either. Varies in quality like everything else.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Patrick

If you have a decent high speed connection, you should be OK. I would guess (just a guess as I have no idea what it actually takes) that as long as you have an upload speed of .50 Mbps or more, you should be good. You can run a speed test here: http://www.speedtest.net

Can also do a connection test using Skype to measure the speed between you and someone else. If you click on them and go "check settings" there's a tab for "connection" which you can use to test the speed between you and the other person. Lets you know what type of audio/video quality you'll expect.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Thanks Patrick for all of the information. I didn't understand some of it, but that's ok...I'm a student of computer-do too. :P

As far as the quality, when Jeffrey and I did a video chat yesterday...I thought the quality across the board was right on spot. What did you think Jeffrey?

Yeah, Danielle, I saw that on Skype, but I've not as of yet used it, maybe I better, huh? I sure wouldn't hurt.

Thanks Danielle and Patrick!!

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Yeah only takes a about a min to test Bob. I tested mine and yours earlier and it came back medium quality: good for audio, ok for video. :) Only thing is you can't really work out which end is responsible for the lower quality (or if its both) and you have to do it when the other person is online.

It can be pretty confusing at first but just shout and I'm pretty sure people on here will be able to point you in the right direction.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Thanks Patrick for all of the information. I didn't understand some of it, put that's ok...I'm a student of computer-do too. :P

As far as the quality, when Jeffrey and I did a video chat yesterday...I thought the quality across the board was right on spot. What did you think Jeffrey?

Yeah, Danielle, I saw that on Skype, but I've not as of yet used it, maybe I better, huh? I sure wouldn't hurt.

Thanks Danielle and Patrick!!

I thought the video was pretty darn good. We only connection once and wasn[t sure what happen but other than that it was awesome.

Haha. :) Cool. My pleasure, Bob. Feel free to ask more questions (Bob or anyone). :)

Thanks,

Patrick