• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have been trying to figure out what to call the grappling i've learned? The school i studied at had 2 good instructors that had black belts in several different styles, and they taught them all under one school for the love of the arts, not for money or recognition from one system. We all loved it, but they got in money trouble and had to close. Anyway the one instructor taught kick boxing, karate, judo, boxing, and tia chi, the other one taught karate, kung fu, jiu jitsu, and wrestling. Now this was my second school with karate, and i started out boxing, and kick boxing, so i listed those on their own, but i don't know how to list all the grappling arts, so i changed my profile to submission wrestling, because they combined all of them together into their own system. They called the school American Martial Arts to keep the traditional schools from getting upset with what they were teaching.

I want to honor what they taught for the great experience that it was, they called it mixed martial arts, but it wasn't an acceptable term like it is now. They mixed 9 styles together in a time when the UFC was just a tournament that wasn't allowed in the US.

I was looking for some advice on what to put on my profile, because i don't want it to look like i'm just writing down styles. Should i just combine it all And call it MMA, or should i list every thing?

When people ask me what i teach my kids i just say kickboxing and submission wrestling so i don't have to explain it, should i just use that?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Submission wrestling is a pretty generic term for anytype of grappling style that combines the two and is lacking a more clear definition. Same with kickboxing. The two convey the idea well enough

How about grappling and striking? Pretty generic, but states what you do. You could state something like: "Grappling and Striking learned from various sources."

Are you sure you're skilled enough to teach it? You may want to test some of your things out in other schools before you go naming things and making people pay for it.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Ethics aside, he should call it "MMA wrestling."

When it comes to marketing, the trend is your friend.

He said he's teaching his kids, so business ethics is not a problem.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I studied under some very good martial artists, for over 10 years, i was 8-1-1 as a kick boxer competing against other gym's, and was offered a chance to train for the olympic trials as a boxer when i was in my early 20's, but i put my family first and said no, because i felt i was to old to start a boxing career, plus my wife and boy's were more important to me.

I learned a combination of the different grappling, and striking styles i talked about from people i very much respect. I was trying to make an easier description for my profile, not name or create a new style to sell to the public.

As for proving myself at yet another gym or dojo, i would love to, but as my introduction post said i teach my boys, because i was nearly killed in a car accident, and my left arm was destroyed. It is still there, and it works at about 60% or 70%, so i can teach them the moves and drills i learned, but i can't compete anymore.