• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't understand people.

The past few months a personal trainer started working out at our gym. He has some past boxing experience and has expressed that he would like some of his clients to participate in our mma/grappling classes. These clients of his are largely males aged 18-27. Due to the fact that our gym has about four people that regularly attend classes, we jumped at that chance to get some new blood into the mix. I was excited about the new students enthusiasm as well, everytime they would see me at the gym or at school(im a teacher) they would express their eagerness to train with us.

Classes began approximately three weeks ago, things started out fine, we basically worked on mobility drills and defense. After a few weeks of giving them more and more grappling tools, i brought up the idea of working Muay Thai next week. Keep in mind that i made sure to explain to them that there would be no contact, just working on stance, hand position things of that nature. Everyone seemed to be up for it. When the next week rolled around everyone had an excuse why they could not attend class. Thats fine, but two of the students stayed a lifted weights at the time that class would have been happening. We later heard from their trainer that they were not interested in striking, thats fine, i told them we would be back to grappling this week.

So this week rolls around one student was not there, two others were but said that they would rather lift weights than attend class. This brings me to my question. I am wondering whether or not it is my teaching methods, during class enthusiasm always seemed very high. Or is it simply that once they saw what martial arts at our gym is about they decided it was not for them.

I am just having a hard time understanding how a group of young men that are good athletes who expressed a interest in the subject could become so fickle so quickly.

Sorry for the long post, just venting some frustration.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's too bad. I know what its like to have few adults in a class, and the opportunity to have more in that enjoy it, and want to stay around, doesn't come along very often. Its too bad they don't want to stick it out.

It could be that you showed them something they didn't want to do, Muay Thai, and they just kind of assumed you would be working it in on and off and don't want to do it. If anything, just inquire. It never hurts to ask.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

That is fine if they simply weren't interested in Muay Thai, the problem i have is that if you aren't interested in it, let me know. Don't let me come all the way to the gym to find that nobody has showed up, and that two students are downstairs lifting weights instead. Show some respect and tell me that you only want to do grappling and thats what we will do.

It happens a lot in MAs people start at all pumped up and then drift away. I have noticed over the years training in different arts in different places that it happens often.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

It happens a lot in MAs people start at all pumped up and then drift away. I have noticed over the years training in different arts in different places that it happens often.

I've been around 20 years, there have been a ton of people show up once or twice.

Concerning your teaching methods, they're fine.

There are those who think. They have hobbies like pool, a game of angles. They enjoy a good mental challenge without breaking a sweat.

There are those who do. They run or lift in a routine that is repeated on a schedule to produce the desired effect.

Then there are those that think about what they're doing. Martial arts are like this. Lot's of technique to learn plus physical activity. Some people just want physical results without having to learn much.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

GS, it's definatly not you, and everyone is right, people come in and drop out of the arts at record paces.

Everyone wants to do ma's until they realize how much work it is, or that they can't go Jason Bourne on everyone they meet. Everyone wants the black belt until they figure out it takes years to earn.

It gets worsre when people start talking about competition. Everyone really wants to compete until they figure out they might lose. This is very common when people have too much ego involved in their performance. Very common as well. Or, they figure out how much a training camp sucks. Also common.

Just keep the doors open and do what you do. Eventrually you'll end up with a core group willing to train and be honest about their goals and skills.

GS, it's definatly not you, and everyone is right, people come in and drop out of the arts at record paces.

Everyone wants to do ma's until they realize how much work it is, or that they can't go Jason Bourne on everyone they meet. Everyone wants the black belt until they figure out it takes years to earn.

It gets worsre when people start talking about competition. Everyone really wants to compete until they figure out they might lose. This is very common when people have too much ego involved in their performance. Very common as well. Or, they figure out how much a training camp sucks. Also common.

Just keep the doors open and do what you do. Eventrually you'll end up with a core group willing to train and be honest about their goals and skills.

This, exactly this. I even got asked about something some what related as we were closing up tonight. They asked what happened when a 'punk' out to prove how tough they were showed up and if it had been something we'd dealt with before. I told them that a good, hard sweat usually was the end of those interested in being tough.

GS, just keep teaching solid stuff and you'll get plenty of interest. Heck, tell your steady folks to invite a friend for a couple of free classes if you're looking for more good folks. You'll get a few how come in and stick after a while. People coming in and out of ma classes is just a matter of course. Turn over happens in any thing you do, in something that's life long, once you're an addict like most of us are, you'll see more go because you're around longer.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I'm afraid that a large number of young men 18-27 are in the gym to work on their number 1 priority. Improve their physical appearance so that they can get laid.

Those who are interested in combat sports are already at the MMA gyms, traditional martial arts dojo, or in the military.

Therefore, the only way that one can bring those weight lifting guys back under the MMA umbrella is to somehow convince them that MMA training can improve their sex appeal.

...which is beyond my field of knowledge.

I don't teach an MMA class but I participate in one, attending once or twice a week.

On a side note, I've been attending MMA for about a year now and I've really gained some ground skills. Truth be told I had zero ground skills when I started so any improvement was positive. The one thing I'm grateful for is learning how to control my breathing when I'm involved in a ground attack. I may not be very efficient attacking on the ground but I can defend somewhat well and I can lock up for 3 minutes without losing my wind.

Ok, back to my point. I see a lot of people that seem to have a strong interest in MMA however they are turned off by work it involves. I've seen many people show up for a few classes and then I never see them again. As others have stated I don't think its you, I think its the work involved.