• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just a question...

Similar situation. A couple of years ago near the end of Spring 2000 semester at my university TKD club I was doing one step sparring with a red belt. I stepped, punched, froze, and my partner did a series of spinning heel kicks to head level, the last one without looking. I recall a sound not unlike the sound of a tennis ball hitting teh "sweet spot" on a tennis racket. When I woke up, my first thoughts were: Have I all of my teeth, and are my glasses okay? With some reluctance I allowed a friend to drive me to (my own!) ED to be seen. i thought, hey, motrin and an ace pack and I'll be okay! I won a three day stay in Neuro IMC for a fracture of my right temporal bone with associated pneumocephalus (air in the skull.).

The accident was caused by lack of control by a partner. I still haev mixed emotions about the whole incident. The person I was working with left the club, due to our being not "tough" enough for him. I felt guilty( and still sort of do to this day) for the injury, as if I should have guarded my face. I have a head CT q 6 months now to ensure that I haven't any sequelae forim the injury, and anytime I get a headache I have that background (oh, oh, is this it?) feeling of anxiety. I was also back in class the week after getting out of the hospital and practicing Kumite again within a week.

Is there a moral here? Perhaps teh moral is that I'm too dumb to quit Karate!

Ordinarily, accidents are just that...accidents. If one exercises adequate control, then hopefully no serious incidents will occur. But this is still a martial art, adn serious injuries can occur.

Robert,

Baltimore.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm....Aren't higher belts supposed to have really good control?
yes they are suppose to have really good control but unfprtunatly not all of them do... and sometimes people get caught up in the moment and that is when accidents occue

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

perhaps the main lesson to be learned is that we are practicing techniques designed to maim and kill another human being, and should be aware of this fact and act accordingly. This is why I am soooooo opposed the the "sport" mentality in Karate/TKD today.

Well I don't blame others. One if he hit me by mistake thats cool. I've been busted up a lot by friends. Two if I missed a block or was looking off thats my fault. Three if I know he has bad control or is out to try and get me or has a rep of making hard face contact. Im not going to give him the chance to hit me. Either by not sparring him or giving him a taste of his own medicine to teach him a lesson.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

:lol: I have had a lot of bloody noses. Of course contact is aloud in my dojo over the rank of brown. I blame myself for not blocking most of the time and actually usually commend the person for hitting an open spot. If it was done purposely however and they didn't care that I was bleeding then I would not commend them. I usually just get even without making them bleed.

(broken fingers end up happening then.)

That guy didn't even have the decency to feel guilty for doing that to you? God... never underestimate people's capacity for apathy... sick...

Well, he was very very sorry, he kept apologizing over and over again. But I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that my 19-year-old brother was feeling the need for.... vengeance :lol:

It's cool now, we're all friends again :karate:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I guess I'm a little different form many of you, "getting even" never even crossed my mind.