• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just a question...

Ok, question: If you were sparring and got punched in the nose and it bled, would you blame your opponent (was that spelled right?) for having bad control, or would you blame yourself for not blocking fast enough? I'm just curious :o)

Thank you!! :P

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a difficult question to answer...I know from experience.

On May 15th (the date still haunts me) I was sparring another brown belt, one much larger than me. Keep in mind, our school does not allow facial contact, and head contact must be kept light.

Well, the guy I was sparring was testing, so he was going pretty hard. Before I know it, I'm looking straight into this guy's heel as it comes flying towards my face. His heel slid neatly into my right eye, and I hit the floor. I thought I was going to die. If I managed to live, I would probably be blind in that eye.

I went to the emergency room and got fixed up. I had to wear a patch over my right eye, because it was making me see double. After X-Rays and catscans, it turned out that I had an orbital blowout fracture. What this meant was that I had a tiny fracture in a bone near one of my eye muscles. It trapped this muscle when I tried to look up. The result: seeing double. Because it was trapped, it probably wouldn't get better on its own. However, the surgery was an extremely delicate process, and by performing it, they risked permanent blindness/death.

So, to this day, I still see double at certain times. I've learned to manage it, and it's nowhere near as bad as it was, but it will probably never go away completely.

I now have to wear a face cage on my helmet when I spar, because I can NEVER get hit in the eye again. Doing so would cause a re-break, and then we'd have to have surgery. Unfortunately, the cage took quite awhile to come in due to some delays from the gear company. I got out of practice in fighting. The facecage is the painful reminder of what happened that day. Once I got back into fighting again, I was scared out of my mind...I had flashbacks the first time anyone threw a kick at me again. After diligent training, I've managed to conquer most of my fears and bring my sparring back up to its old level.

Now, the guy who hit me claims that I walked into the kick. That may very well be true...it all happened so fast that I don't remember exact details. I should never have made my face/head such an available target. But at the same time, he never should have thrown that much power anywhere near my head. If he had hit me with that kick anywhere else, I probably would have broken ribs, etc. instead of eye problems.

The moral of the story: Control (meaning your opponent controlling their power while YOU control your guard) means never having to say you're sorry.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

That guy didn't even have the decency to feel guilty for doing that to you? God... never underestimate people's capacity for apathy... sick...

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu