• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jon Bones Jones

Did you see the fights last night (UFC 128)? Jones completly destroyed Rua. But what do you make of the youngest champ in UFC history? He has only been in the sport 3 years and dominated a legend in his prime. The kid is scary!

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It was an excellent performance. Like all his fights. Seems like a pretty classy guy. I hope he continues to do well.

However, let's let him defend the title a bit. See if he can stay healthy, see how he handles the pressure of being champ, ect. before we usher him into the hall of fame.

He's young and we have yet to see how consistant he'll stay.

My guess is he will do very well. However, having seen some phenoms come and go, I want to hold off a bit before jumping full on into the bandwagon.

I think a defense or two is in order. Chuck Liddell is the last guy to have numerous consecutive title defenses iirc. Let's not forget that Machida was going to have an era named after him...he was so elusive, used a style that was so unique and effective that nobody would ever defeat him and that he was the future of the sport. Lesnar was the new breed of heavyweight too. He was super-fast, agile, strong, and huge: Lesnar was going to rule as king of the heavyweights forever. The even named a month after him...Happy Brocktober.

I have no problems with Jones as a person or as a martial artist, but he could very well be overhyped anything from a little to a lot. Shogun won the biggest mma organization's title at the same age and while he's been a great force in mma, he hasn't exactly been a non-stop worldbeater. If Jones can knock off Rashad, Forrest, and Anderson Silva, I'll never doubt his abilities as long as I live.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

Ah, Brocktober fest...

LP, did you make it up here for the Brocktober bash at my place? I honestly don't remember. Of course, I had watch the fights the next day to get the gist of the last couple :)

Seriously, though, I agree. If he beats Rashad, and then proceeds to make easy work of the contenders in the division a made up weight class bout between he and Silva would be in order. And probibly much more entertaining than Silva v. GSP.

Lesnar is coaching on TUF and Machida is lined up to fight Couture at UFC 129 up in the great white north.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Nothing wrong with Jon Bones Jones but that wasn't the full Shogun Rua. Rampage must be kicking himself for not being in there while the pickings were easy. (At least the easiest they've ever been in a ring with Rua.)

Unending Love,

Amazing Grace

• 8 months later...

Ok, since the Rua fight he has submitted Rampage and Machida all in the same year. The kid is exciting. Evans may be next and I don't think he has much of a chance with JBJ.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• 5 months later...

Add Evans to the list. This kid is good. Who else does he need to fight at 205?