• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you prefer back leg kicking or front leg kicking?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Front but thats only because thats the way we are set up. In JKD you taught to intercept, you can't really do it with the rear leg. Front leg side kick to the knee is usually the way, I also tend to just lift it to jam them from coming forward. Then you can follow with the rear or punches.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

I kick both ways, depending on who I'm fighting. Most of time my front leg is use for faking and my back leg is power. I like to use a front snap kick with my front leg to see if the other guy will drop his hands.

• 2 weeks later...

I fight left forward, and against a southpaw I throw constant low kicks with my lead to their lead. It's quick, it's a short distance, generally safe, and the damage certainly adds up. Against a standard, I throw the inside leg kick with my lead to their lead if possible. Otherwise, I get my rear leg around and back as quickly as possible.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

Otherwise, I get my rear leg around and back as quickly as possible.

This brings up a thought. Does anyone here ever throw a rear leg kick, then land it in front, and then go from the opposite stance?

This brings up a thought. Does anyone here ever throw a rear leg kick, then land it in front, and then go from the opposite stance?

Do you mean as in landing and then fighting from the opposite stance? Do this all the time. Its a great way to cover a stance change if you want to swap sides. But also if a combo finishes with a rear leg kick, it's not all that advantageous to pull it all the way back to the rear again because it wastes time and you can get caught in the process. Always been taught its better to throw the leg, put it down in front and then fight that side forward until you naturally change sides again. Does mean you have to be comfortable fighting from both a southpaw and orthodox stance though.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Do you mean as in landing and then fighting from the opposite stance? Do this all the time. Its a great way to cover a stance change if you want to swap sides. But also if a combo finishes with a rear leg kick, it's not all that advantageous to pull it all the way back to the rear again because it wastes time and you can get caught in the process. Always been taught its better to throw the leg, put it down in front and then fight that side forward until you naturally change sides again. Does mean you have to be comfortable fighting from both a southpaw and orthodox stance though.

Me too, also, I've found that most people fight better in an open or closed stance. I will change sides accordingly.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Yes, Danielle, that is what I am talking about. I used to start off southpaw, and then change throughout, but now I've gone back to starting orthodox, but do switch at times.

If I do switch stances, and see my opponent switches because of it, I switch again, and start playing a game with them.