• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you prefer back leg kicking or front leg kicking?

When sparring, do you have a preference between back leg and front leg kicking?

I'm interested in all angles here; point, Olympic, Karate or TKD, pro or cage aspects, knockdown, etc.

My instructor is a big proponent of "establishing a front leg," especially a side kick, but this strategy doesn't work so well for me. It could be just that I am slower, and don't have good reaction time. I will do front leg round kicks, but like to come off my back leg, and am starting to work more combos beginning with a back leg kick, like the front kick, to the body.

I'd like to hear everyone else's preferences.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am a big fan of front leg kicking during point fighting. My front leg side kick is very fast and powerful. However, for the cage, the majority of the kicks go to the leg. Low line round kicks take a lot of time to be powerful and it's usually better to use the rear leg.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I've no preference myself. Front leg/back leg: both provide me with what I need per the situation at hand.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Both have their merits. It sounds cheesy and cliche' but its one of those things where you take what your opponent allows. Obviously I like setting up the rear kicks after a punch combo. I do turn the hip over very well on my kicks, so my lead leg kick is powerfull.

Usually, I use the lead leg to distract during a combo so I can land a few punches to the head. I also use it when someone is constantly running from the fight and makes it difficult to engage. A couple of cut kicks slows them down real well. Obviously I'd prefer to land the rear kick just because you'll natrually be able to dish out more power, but again its just about taking what your oppnent allows.

A combination of both is the way to go. I like the lead leg for push kicks and roundhouse kicks, but most of my other kicks come from the rear leg. Most of my preference is due to knockdown fighting and kickboxing.

Both tbh. The rear leg is for the powershots and the front leg for the quicker shots. I very rarely, if ever, start a combination from a back leg kick. As a rule we're taught that that is very bad. As soon as the hip goes to do it your opponent can read it and pick you off. Its either covered with the hands or leg first or if I do start with a back leg, its a counter shot because my opponent has left themselves open.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I prefer the front leg in combat sport.

Like a boxer uses the jab to find range an break his opponent down i use the front leg to do the same.

From a side on stance both lead leg side/ turning kicks can be used as range finders and combined with punches make way for the techniques off the rear leg.

Jason

My front leg side kick is very fast and powerful.

Do you kick by just picking the front leg up, or do you step into it with your back leg? Stepping into it can give me power and help cover distance, but also telegraphs. For some reason, picking the front leg up to side kick is just ackward for me.

The rear leg is for the powershots and the front leg for the quicker shots. I very rarely, if ever, start a combination from a back leg kick. As a rule we're taught that that is very bad. As soon as the hip goes to do it your opponent can read it and pick you off. Its either covered with the hands or leg first or if I do start with a back leg, its a counter shot because my opponent has left themselves open.

I feel the same way most of the time. I like to follow up or end with a back leg kick, and try to use the front leg to start. I've been working the front kick lately, as its quicker for me to pull off than the side kick.

I vastly prefer rear leg kicking due to the power and thus kinetic energy transfer.

That's not to say I won' t throw a front leg kick, but for my preference, I'd say rear leg.

When sparring I like a front leg front kick aimed near the belly button. That is how I control distance. (USA-NKF doesn't allow leg kicks) I do this when my opponent is closing distance but I'm just outside of his punch range. Mostly I just do it to lower his hands more than anything but if it goes unchecked you can fold a guy. Also the front leg front kick is easy to get back quickly so your foot doesn't get caught. The rear leg can go alot farther and it's certainly more powerful. I practice it alot in training but never seem to throw it in a match. I think it would be best used at the end of a punch combination. I agree don't lead with a rear leg kick.

Unending Love,

Amazing Grace