• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Preventing and Treating Oxidation

I have a few swords. In particular I have a 1095 carbon steel ninjato and a 440 stainless steel Buster Sword replica. I've had the ninjato since October. I live in Florida now. A very humid area. I usually have the ninjato in its sheath but I noticed early signs of rust the other day.

How do I go about preventing it rusting anymore and how do I take off what's already there? Should I keep it out of the sheath and on a stand somewhere? Or would that just further expose it to the humidity around? Also the sheath will no longer stay with the sword. It falls off whenever I pick it up. Is there any way I can fix this?

As for the Buster Sword, it has a lot of rust. It's actually gotten deep into the steel. I've managed to get a good amount of it off by scratching it off with aluminum foil. Does anyone have any suggestions on going about re-polishing the blade so it gets all of its shine back?

Also because of the Buster Sword's rat-tail tang (and me not knowing that it was a display sword at the time I bought it), part of the tsuba collapsed. It's hollow and I can see the iron rod that goes into the hilt. Someone suggested that melting lead and pouring it into the tsuba would reinforce the hilt so it wouldn't be likely to break off and bend. However, one of my friends has expressed concerns of me receiving lead poisoning during the process. What are the odds of this happening?

Any information is much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

All the metal that goes into a Buster Sword and they couldn't use the little extra to make it full tang?

Someone should be hit with the Knights of the Round.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

You're telling me. Plus I wish I could get my hands on the guy that sold it to me. I was fifteen when I bought it so it's partly my fault for being young and stupid. But he seriously shouldn't have told me I'd be able to swing that thing around and practice with it if in reality it wasn't.

You're telling me. Plus I wish I could get my hands on the guy that sold it to me. I was fifteen when I bought it so it's partly my fault for being young and stupid. But he seriously shouldn't have told me I'd be able to swing that thing around and practice with it if in reality it wasn't.

And how much years passed since you bought it?

Edited by Agenda

Start with a scouring pad. The green kitchen things should take off any light surface rust. Steel wool (Brillo or SOS pads) will take off deeper stuff. And some kind of oil is a must. Gun oil, or honing oil, or even a light machine/drill oil is better than nothing. Though I imagine there are specific oils out there for bladed weapons.

What's the handle of that "Buster" sword made of? Lead is fairly easy to work with, but it could burn or melt whatever else is in there. Plus it won't look very nice and is extremely soft. Old timers worked with lead all the time- as body filler, shot, fishing weights, paint, etc., etc. Just don't eat it and you should be fine.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

I could imagine it's made out of some cheap steel like the rest of it.

I took your advice and got most of the rust off the Buster sword as well as the little bits of rust that were on the ninjato. At some point in time I'm going to need to get some sword oil.