• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

From Shotokan to Goju Ryu?

APerson

Hello,

I am a Shotokan practioneer that hasnt practiced for a while due to geographical change. I practice another sport now and would like to regain the flexibility/speed/agility I had only a year ago. At my college the Shotokan courses are all at bad timings that intervene with my sport, except for "advanced" Goju Ryu.

To what extent will I be hampering the class if I go on there without any prior Goju Ryu knowledge? I expect there to be only a handful of people there, in addition to the instructor of course.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I wouldn't worry about hampering the class. Its the instructor's job to bring you along. I'd at least go check it out, and see if you like it or not.

Goju ryu is such a broad style that one goju ryu dojo can do WKF rules point sparring while another one does iri kumi kumite that resembles Kudo/daido juku rules and kyokushin knockdown rules kumite.

However, with that being said the way the stances and kata that are done should differ quite a bit against shotokan.

I would try to empty your cup of shotokan knowledge while taking up goju ryu.

I cross trained in goju ryu years ago while practicing shito ryu and got to shodan. The application of bunkai in the goju ryu I did is what differed more against the shito ryu that I practiced the most. I have became more aware of the other goju ryu orgs and dojo that do kumite similar to kyokushin and even allow groin strikes..and enter kyokushin tournaments over the years. The other side of the coin I am aware of goju ryu that do little to no kumite :roll: so if you find a dojo you like stick to it is all i can say. There are great goju dojo and bad ones, just like any other style.

• 1 month later...

APerson-san. Take a chill-pill. Doing a course is nothing like taking it up full time.

Just attend enjoy and relax

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)