• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Has MMA adopted a belt ranking system?

Not the last time I was down there. People interested in MMA in Brazil usually find themselves training BJJ, Judo, or Muay Thai at one camp or another. Some will train luta livre, but thats all no gi and without a ranking system

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I'd be wary if the black belt in mma was what they hung their hat on.

That was my initial reaction. For example, the "4th degree black belt in MMA" I referenced could have simply invented that title for himself just to impress potential customers. If he has an impressive competition record, then that should speak for itself. Conversely, if his record isn't particularly stellar, then that title could be something he gave himself to compensate.

I myself am partial to traditional martial arts, but it's hard to have confidence in those schools' traditional systems if they're fabricating about their MMA system.

It lets you know what they're primary focus is. In this case its belts, and they're selling. I've seen a few schools showcase their instructors as being "black belts in muay thai." We would laugh, as the one Kru I train under keeps saying "Im still waiting to get my black belt in muay thai." Same with the MMA classes.

In short, they're looking to sell you a belt, which is a worthless one at that. They're not looking to actually teach anything