• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Preparing for my first kumite tournament...

conrad665

Hi everyone,

I will join a tournament about one month later. We started to study heavily. I just started to realise that I have many problems with my techniques, and more importantly, I'm scared of approaching the opponent too much. I have some questions about how to prepare for it in one month:

1) Should I study outside of the dojo? We have 3 days a week every other day, 1,5-2 hours each. I want to do some running, but would it be worse since it would tire me out? I'm also thinking of skipping rope. Should I do it till I get tired or keep a regular number?

2) How can I learn to do fake movements? My opponents do not seem to buy my fakes.

3) How do you eat one month- or one week before a tournament? I'm a lacto vegetarian, and do you have any suggestions for me?

4) Is one month enough to fix such issues like learning to fake, jump better and approaching the opponent?

And lastly, could you tell me some combinations that work well?

Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated about any issue I can't think of now.

Thanks for your time .

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

1. All except the last week, you should be fine. For a few days before just do light cardio and focus on good technique. Try a light jog on your off days and see what your body tells you.

2. Mirrors are your friend. Try to make it look convincing.

3. I believe a person does well to have a good diet and just stay on it. Eating differently for a week does strange things to your bowels. I saw a video once of a runner who ate a bunch of bananas before a long distance race who had a rather unfortunate accident. This is a family site, so I'll say no more.

4. A month can do wonders to improve what you already know. A month trying to learn a dozen new things would be worse than sitting on the couch eating cheesy poofs the whole time.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Best drill....SPAR...spar until the wheels fall off and then some. Nothing is better than sparring, and with different partners.

And...get with your sensei asap and ask him/her those same questions?

Good luck!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

1) I would study outside the dojo. Are you competing in kata? If you are you could run through a couple a night and focus on good technique, timing, breathing etc. Everything you are being taught in the class time. If you have a heavy bag (or even if not) practice any combinations or techniques your sensei is working with you in class. Skipping and running are good and there's no reason why you can't add that into your training. I would lay off of it the week before the tournament though and give your body a chance to rest.

2) The thing with fakes I've always said is that you shouldn't be thinking "I'm going to fake now". You should just go to do the move anyway and then if your opponent starts to react, make it a fake by cutting it short and firing out something else. If they don't react then you've hit them with the first technique. For a fake to be effective it can't be a fake looking technique - it has to look real. Best thing to do is keep practicing.

3) I wouldn't change your diet. Nows not the time to be experimenting. Just make sure you're getting enough water and that you're eating enough and you should be fine.

4) If you train hard, a month is definitely enough time to improve on those areas. Depending what the problem is, it might take years to fix. But if you train hard now you can have a decent go at trying to fix them.

Its only your first tournament anyway so just go have fun and good luck :up:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

1) Should I study outside of the dojo? We have 3 days a week every other day, 1,5-2 hours each. I want to do some running, but would it be worse since it would tire me out? I'm also thinking of skipping rope. Should I do it till I get tired or keep a regular number?

It sounds like you are getting enough class time in, so perhaps use your outside of dojo training time for conditioning like running and jump rope.

Running and jumping rope are both great training tools for fighting. As for running, make sure to pace yourself. You will get sore at first, but as your body gets used to it, it will adapt and recover. With only being a month out, you may not see the results as much for this tournament as for those down the road. If your good at jumping rope already, you might consider doing it for rounds.

2) How can I learn to do fake movements? My opponents do not seem to buy my fakes.

If your opponents aren't buying them now, you might just forego them altogether, at least for this competition. But, a few things to consider:

1. Fake moves you already do. If you never do a front kick, then faking one might not do you any good. But, if you do a lot of front kicks, then faking it will gain you something, because they should try to counter what they think is coming. But make sure its something you connect with, as well, regularly. If you don't make a lot of contact with techniques, then fakes won't do you much good, either.

2. A good fake has to look committed. If your fake doesn't start like your normal technique would, then no one any good will buy it. You've got to sell your fake like its the actual technique coming.

3) How do you eat one month- or one week before a tournament? I'm a lacto vegetarian, and do you have any suggestions for me?

Can't help you here. I'm no dietician, but I would recommend that you get a good protein source somewhere, since you don't eat meat.

4) Is one month enough to fix such issues like learning to fake, jump better and approaching the opponent?

It might be tough to get all that work in you want in just a month. But, if you start working on them now, they will come over time for later events. What you might do is pick one of these, like fakes, and work on them specifically, and see if you can develop something you can take in with you feeling confident about.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. :karate:

Hi again,

Thanks for your replies. I and my teammates started to run outside of the dojo and did quite well. My legs still feel a bit stiff, but it does not matter.

As for fakes and speed, I can see that the more you work out and spar, the more natural you can do all movements. My stance and jumping was too bad! But even two weeks helped me see my mistakes and correct them.

I just thought maybe other karateka have special diets to keep themselves more energised. I think my diet is sufficient for now. Btw, I will only compete in kumite.

Even if I will get beaten to death :D in my first match, I learnt and will learn many things about kumite. I would appreciate further tips and suggestions :)

Conrad if you are sparring at the begginer/novice level you are likely going to see the jab/reverse combo over and over again. It's not easy to block them both. Your best defense really is a good offence. think of it like jousting. You both jump in with your jab/reverse and jump out. One of you may score maybe not. Be sure to exagerate your "karate" technique or they wont score your strikes. Also yelling at the moment you make contact can sometimes wake up the four blind mice and get you a point. You have to get over your fear of approaching. Absorbing shots is part of the game. Typically your opponent is going to be a good sportsman. He isn't trying to harm you. The more you practice sparring the sooner that fear will go away. Be glad for the hits you take in a controlled setting. They are better preparing you for real conflict. Good luck in your tournament, let us know how you did.

Unending Love,

Amazing Grace

Conrad if you are sparring at the begginer/novice level you are likely going to see the jab/reverse combo over and over again. It's not easy to block them both. Your best defense really is a good offence. think of it like jousting. You both jump in with your jab/reverse and jump out. One of you may score maybe not. Be sure to exagerate your "karate" technique or they wont score your strikes. Also yelling at the moment you make contact can sometimes wake up the four blind mice and get you a point. You have to get over your fear of approaching. Absorbing shots is part of the game. Typically your opponent is going to be a good sportsman. He isn't trying to harm you. The more you practice sparring the sooner that fear will go away. Be glad for the hits you take in a controlled setting. They are better preparing you for real conflict. Good luck in your tournament, let us know how you did.

Thanks of the advices, rmurray. I'm 2 kyu, but never paid attention on kumite before, so it's true that I'm a beginner. You're right, I should exaggerate my techniques like experienced ones do and shout as much as I can. It can also frighten my opponent. I would feel frightened if someone shouting hit me :lol:

Today our sensei told us to make at least one technique ''ours'', which means to concentrate on it and be doing it perfectly. This is better than doing several lame techniques. I have no such technique, unfortunately :( but I'm getting better. At least I can say this. Thanks for the tips again.

I'm good at kizami zuki and not bad at ura mawashi geri. I'll work on them to make them mine :) I'll also try ashi barai, it can be so useful :)

If you have more tips, please share with me. They will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by conrad665

I just meant beginner/novice would be your division, but if your 2kyu then you will be in the intermediate/advanced division. The jab reverse will still be a good combo but you'll need to do more than that. I'm sure you have some good techniques from your years of training. Getting the correct mindset will help more than anything. BE COURAGEOUS and keep your offense coming. If you're good at sweeps, that's a good way to rack up some points. Just execute quickly when they go down.

Unending Love,

Amazing Grace

I just meant beginner/novice would be your division, but if your 2kyu then you will be in the intermediate/advanced division. The jab reverse will still be a good combo but you'll need to do more than that. I'm sure you have some good techniques from your years of training. Getting the correct mindset will help more than anything. BE COURAGEOUS and keep your offense coming. If you're good at sweeps, that's a good way to rack up some points. Just execute quickly when they go down.

Unfortunately, there is no division of levels in this tournament. I may spar even with national karate team members, so I don't think I can use jab- reverse on such an occasion. Kizami zuki and ura mawashi geri combo looks nice, so is attacking with multiple jabs with both arms. I just hope that I will spar with someone in my level, then I can use jab- reverse.

I'm quite bad at sweeping for now, I'm always looking at the opponent's legs and feet, but I'm studying on it. My legs are covered with bruises :)

Thank you so very much, I'll be courageous and will never give up :karate:

Edited by conrad665