• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Confused about Wado and grappling.

dantheman

And of course the bog standard answer that I am going to give you is:

Go and check out any club that you are thinking of training with. See what they are about and if it floats your boat.

And therein lies the biggest challange. So many karate schools and styles, 90% of which are family and mcdojos.

But I am searching.

Go find a Japanese cultural center if you could. Classes are generally dirt cheap. Generally taught by mid-high ranked Japanese instructors with very high standards.

But be careful for what you ask for. The first time an instructor punches you in the face because he thinks that your blocks are weak, you may have 2nd thoughts.

Damn, that is exactly what I am looking for. japanese, militant instructor with a dash of abusiveness. :D

Thanks for the advise, I just did that. Found a cultural center for 50/month three days a week.

Japanese instructors. Style is Shito which is close to shotokan from what I ready.

Thanks a bunch hope he will kick my butt :).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For good examples of Bunkai in Wado go visit

http://www.iainabernethy.co.uk/

I have been to a clinic with him and he has some interesting ideas. I’m not going to say they are right, just different. He was an amazing Sensei with a great teaching perspective on Karate. There are some articles on the Pinans as a grapplers kata. Most the Bunkai seems to be reversed engineered from the Katas themselves. It is worth a look.

I have been to a clinic with him and he has some interesting ideas. I’m not going to say they are right, just different. He was an amazing Sensei with a great teaching perspective on Karate. There are some articles on the Pinans as a grapplers kata. Most the Bunkai seems to be reversed engineered from the Katas themselves. It is worth a look.

Hi Jeffrey,

I don't wish to get into semantics here, or indeed derail this thread in any way, but Iain Abernethy does not do Wado.

If you ask him he will tell you the same thing.

Iain is very good at what he does, but the "process" of bunkai does not fit into the Wado-ryu paradigm of things.

Its not unlike the OPs description of Wado ryu's Jujutsu roots and grappling in the modern day sense. They are distant cousins perhaps, but don't get too distracted.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

Hi Jeffrey,

I don't wish to get into semantics here, or indeed derail this thread in any way, but Iain Abernethy does not do Wado.

Iain is very good at what he does, but the "process" of bunkai does not fit into the Wado-ryu paradigm of things.

Its not unlike the OPs description of Wado ryu's Jujutsu roots and grappling in the modern day sense. They are distant cousins perhaps, but don't get too distracted.

Sojobo

LOL! No need to get into semantics at all. Like I said I don't want to say they are right or Wado at all. Just some interesting ideas.

We do have a group here that seems to think these ideas are correct in their interpretation but to me they are just some ones else perspective of the Kata. But for me, I’m still working on Pinan Shodan corrections from that new set of DVDs you had suggested. I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Hi Jeffrey,

Sojobo

LOL! No need to get into semantics at all. Like I said I don't want to say they are right or Wado at all. Just some interesting ideas.

We do have a group here that seems to think these ideas are correct in their interpretation but to me they are just some ones else perspective of the Kata. But for me, I’m still working on Pinan Shodan corrections from that new set of DVDs you had suggested. I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Hi Jeffrey,

Good to hear you are getting something out of Roberto's DVDs.

To be clear, I am also part of a group that thinks Iain ideas are certainly worth a listen to. My reply to your post was because of the section where you wrote "Examples of Bunkai in Wado".

That always gets my Wado radar buzzin cos its an oxymoron of kinds.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

I think the perspective comment sums it up well. There are many out there, and differences arise, and the focus should be on if they are good and work. If that's the case, then how can they be "wrong?"