• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Confused about Wado and grappling.

dantheman

HI Guys,

I am really confused about the Wado curriculum , specifically when it comes to how much grappling is taught. I am reading that Wado has been strongly influenced by a certain style of jiu jitsu. My quesiton is , does this influence trasnlate into a more grappling focused curriculum than other styles of karate?

I am just wondering if the grappling is limited to Bunkai applications as most other karate styles or if it is visibily more present in Wado schools?

Or is it compoletely dependent on who is teaching the class?

I am currently deciding between Wado and shotokan and any feedback is highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
HI Guys,

I am really confused about the Wado curriculum , specifically when it comes to how much grappling is taught. I am reading that Wado has been strongly influenced by a certain style of jiu jitsu.

Wado is a Japanese Karate which was born out of its creator's expertise in Koryu Bujutsu (namely Shindo Yoshin Ryu) combined with his studies of Okinawan karate.

When we talk of the Jujutsu that is found in SYR however, it probably isn't what you think of as Jujutsu - even our differing spelling of the word gives that away.

My quesiton is , does this influence trasnlate into a more grappling focused curriculum than other styles of karate?

No, although we do practice locks, holds, sweeps, throws and pins - I wouldn't go as far to say we were grapplers.

I am just wondering if the grappling is limited to Bunkai applications as most other karate styles or if it is visibily more present in Wado schools?

Strictly speaking Wado does not have Bunkai (or at least not in the Okinawan sense anyway).

Finding good Wado instructors these days is like finding hens teeth - and if you want to learn how to grapple - I'd find a good grappling club.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

HI Guys,

I am really confused about the Wado curriculum , specifically when it comes to how much grappling is taught. I am reading that Wado has been strongly influenced by a certain style of jiu jitsu.

Wado is a Japanese Karate which was born out of its creator's expertise in Koryu Bujutsu (namely Shindo Yoshin Ryu) combined with his studies of Okinawan karate.

When we talk of the Jujutsu that is found in SYR however, it probably isn't what you think of as Jujutsu - even our differing spelling of the word gives that away.

My quesiton is , does this influence trasnlate into a more grappling focused curriculum than other styles of karate?

No, although we do practice locks, holds, sweeps, throws and pins - I wouldn't go as far to say we were grapplers.

Strictly speaking Wado does not have Bunkai (or at least not in the Okinawan sense anyway).

TBH, unless you are lucky enough to find a Wado teacher that knows his stuff (and you won't know that of course) - and you want to learn how to grapple - I'd find a good grappling club.

Sojobo

Thank you. I must say as a newcomer it is all so confusing. Wado seems to stress evasion in favor of blocks, but when you watch videos of shotokan practiioners fight, you will see that most of the time they evade as well. Noone is blocking anything. Same with the stances. It is being said that Wado uses higher stances. Again shotikan practioniers use higher stances when fighting.

At the end of the day it seems to me it's all really the same and a lot of false marketing and labeling.

Dan.

And of course the bog standard answer that I am going to give you is:

Go and check out any club that you are thinking of training with. See what they are about and if it floats your boat.

The internet is a wonderful thing in terms of finding out about styles - but deep down it’s about how good the club instructor is - it doesn't really matter what style he teaches imo - although if you "luck out" with a Wado instructor then it's a win win situation.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

Go and check out any club that you are thinking of training with. See what they are about and if it floats your boat.

And therein lies the biggest challange. So many karate schools and styles, 90% of which are family and mcdojos.

But I am searching.

And therein lies the biggest challange. So many karate schools and styles, 90% of which are family and mcdojos.

But I am searching.

You may be surprised if you look deeper into some schools. You may find an inner element that is very serious about their training. Pick the one with the best training get in. Just don't get hooked into long term contracts.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

But I am searching.

Go find a Japanese cultural center if you could. Classes are generally dirt cheap. Generally taught by mid-high ranked Japanese instructors with very high standards.

But be careful for what you ask for. The first time an instructor punches you in the face because he thinks that your blocks are weak, you may have 2nd thoughts.

But I am searching.

Go find a Japanese cultural center if you could. Classes are generally dirt cheap. Generally taught by mid-high ranked Japanese instructors with very high standards.

But be careful for what you ask for. The first time an instructor punches you in the face because he thinks that your blocks are weak, you may have 2nd thoughts.

Damn, that is exactly what I am looking for. japanese, militant instructor with a dash of abusiveness. :D