• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who's afraid of Sensei?

I always hate practioners that don't use control when sparring with a lesser opponent.

Unless the lesser person get a little too excited and needs a little reminder!

A little reminder, sometimes is in order. But not to such an extent that the student would question whether it is wise to return to class or not. Control tends to become a factor from time to time, especially in some intermediate level students that get excited about the abilities they have developed, and may not realize they are a bit out of control.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always hate practioners that don't use control when sparring with a lesser opponent.

Unless the lesser person get a little too excited and needs a little reminder!

A little reminder, sometimes is in order. But not to such an extent that the student would question whether it is wise to return to class or not. Control tends to become a factor from time to time, especially in some intermediate level students that get excited about the abilities they have developed, and may not realize they are a bit out of control.

I strongly concur with both Lee M and Brian!! Abuse should never be tolerated from ANYBODY!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Never abuse somebody, sure.

But you can attack a bit faster when someone gets too exited.

Just touch him, not hit him.

I disagree, i have found that the only thing the spazmatic types respect is pain. This is not to say that just because someone is throwing with far to much power during sparring, that you should immediatly destroy them. I recommend first asking them nicely to calm down, if it continues ask them again to calm down. If they still don't heed your warnings, hammer them, hard and fast. Don't continue beating them into a pulp, but instead explain to them that you are attempting to help them and have there best interest in mind.

Yeah, the "letting up" after you've made your point is key, I think. They don't learn from a continued onslaught, and it doesn't show a teacher in good light, either. But, a "quick few" shows the student that the teacher has control, and what can happen if he doesn't use it. Good lessons there.

• 3 weeks later...

"Yes Ma'am/Sir" helps develop self-discipline and focus....not just in the dojo but at school/work/home too. Push ups should not be use do punish, rather to motivate the students and remind them to work on their self-discipline-the side benefit being strengthening. It has little to do with respect, IMO, that must be earned through your/the instructors actions and words.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I think some people maybe a little confused . The army breaks you down and teaches you say how high when asked to jump. It does not mean you fear your superior its a way of instilling discipline. You have make your own decision on how far you are going to trust them. In the case of the army you trust your life to your superior . The discipline you get from doing there orders first then asking questions could save your life if its time critical.

You have to put your faith in them at the start that when they break you down and build you back up its going to be for the good. It does not mean you fear them however.

Though I do fear my superiors in Karate because I believe they are lethal weapons even more so than me. If they were not they wouldn't be superior. I have at the start though put my faith in them. I believe that they have built me up for the better. I have faith they wont hold me back to stop me from becoming better than them.