• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who's afraid of Sensei?

I would not say i am afraid of my sensei. its getting to the point when we spar that i can atleast get some shots in. What i do have is an extreme cautios respect for my sensei, he has helped me out a ton in life and i don't want to give the impression that i am unappreciative.(My sensei is also my landlord).

My sensei's instructor however, i am very much afraid of. He is a Vietnam vet who has seen a lot of crazy stuff. I have never met him personally, but just from the stories i have heard he may be one of the most intimidating people on the planet.

Some people's eyes tell you that they've seen things. His eyes tell you that people have seen him.

Solid post!!

:)

Yes very solid!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm only afraid of my instructor because the dude has a biting sense of humor and if you get on the wrong side of it, it stinks. I'm more afraid of his mouth than his martial arts skills.

We also don't say "yes, sir" really and I'm the only one in the adult class who calls seniors Mr. ______ and only because I've known them since I was 8 and it's expected from kids. Everyone else just calls them by their first names.

I think I was afraid of them when I was 8. Now... not so much...

A sensei shouldn't be anyone to fear! My senseis would hate the thought of anyone actually being scared of them! Mine are big teddy bears. They demand respect and ask forit by saying they want to be called sensei, not by first names, and treated properly, and they treat all of us how they want to be treated. They lead by example now. Earlier, my sensei was a huggy type who would hug his students. and I hugged him back. But now, months ago, both of us stopped. We don't hug anybody now. We treat it as a dojo. (Though my senseis and I are very friendly and they still have practically adopted me) :D

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Hugs! I've gotten a hug from all of my instructors. Shihan, just the once though. I got all excited and bounced up and down while he hugged me. Made him laugh. :}

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

• 1 month later...
Hugs! I've gotten a hug from all of my instructors. Shihan, just the once though. I got all excited and bounced up and down while he hugged me. Made him laugh. :}

Didnt get a hug on my orange belt grading night two days ago because he had to leave when he told us we had passed.

I'm sure i'll get something from im next week though. he usually hugs me when i preform well at a tournament or grading. :) He's a sweetheart.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

• 1 month later...

When I am in the training hall, there is mutual respect, but never fear.

In my twelve years of training, I have only ever felt fear when working with two people... neither of whom were instructors- they were peers of mine who had no concept of self-control. It was a fear for my safety, never a fear of the person I was working with.

Shaolin Kempo, 1st Dan (earned 3 July 2018 in China)

ITF Tae Kwon Do, 2nd Dan (earned 6 June 2009 in San Diego, CA)

Almost 20 years of martial arts training in total

The first time that "you" faced your sensei in kumite, I'm pretty sure that "you" were either a little scared or "you" were very scared of "your" sensei. I'd think that that would be a normal reaction/feeling. It's ok....go ahead...admit it...I ADMIT IT!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!