• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what martial art should i choose?

I'm assuming that's what he means by "...and also in arms when I get to about blue belt..."

And I still don't know a ton of MT schools that emphasis throwing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you can find a decent Hapkido school that might be something to consider as well.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than pick a named style, I think that the OP should pick a school based on the reputation of the organization that the style belonged to.

The reason is that any clown can open a school and name their own style. More reputable organizations will at the very least, certify their instructors so that the risk of being instructed by a fool is lessen.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with MMA Jim on learning MT for what you seek. Either that or a really good kick boxing program.

As much as I love Judo/JJJ, if I had it to do all over again, and was mostly interested in self-defense I'd probably go wrestling/kick-boxing though. Two programs where competitiveness is extremely high, and full alive training will allow you to refine your skill to the maximum.

Also one is great for striking while the other is about the best training you can find for learning how to achieve and maintain dominant positions over fully resisting opponents.