• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Been doing techniques the wrong way for 6 years!

I changed organizations about two months ago, so I'm actually re-learning some of my kihon right now. Fortunately it's to my benefit, as before I was learning under a 2nd dan and now I have access to an 8th dan and a 5th dan. So far I've made positive changes to several techniques (some being my chudan uchi uke, yoko geri kekomi, and morote chudan uchi uke) and it definitely is that light bulb moment.

Rateh - To me that's strange about not leaning into the kick, as it's the opposite in Kyokushin. We get yelled at if we lean back, and are encouraged to lean forward to get more body weight into the strikes. It's always interesting to see how two arts can have different approaches to the same thing.

I may come of as a bit disgruntled, but it's more like I'm waiting for someone to validate that I'm wrong here...

Why would the technique for say, the morote chudan uchi uke matter? (if by more uke you mean this:

)

I mean, I don't think people would ever block like that in a real fight... you're better off pulling a chudan soto uke and leaving the other hand to cover your face or ready for a counterpunch or some other attack...

I'm just doubting why some martial arts techniques exist, I guess. Like the morote uke, or the kokuto uko.

The way he teaches it, it's a uraken strike to the inside of the elbow, with the other arm giving it a lot more acceleration for more power. Hence, more a strike than a block. After striking with the uraken, that hand can now become a kizami tsuki and the supporting hand can follow up with a shuto uchi uchi.

Kyokushin is all about fighting, but we also include other techniques than what you typically see in knockdown.

Not sure what kokuto uko is, do you mean the wrist block (some call it kakuto uke, others call it koken uke)?

Though I'm not very good with them myself, I have seen quite a few karateka use them brilliantly. Because of their nature, nukite can follow up immediately after one as can other hand techniques.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting subject for me, because I have three instructors, and they all teach kihon a little differently. Part of the idea in Kyokushin is "do what works... and what works FOR YOU." So you follow what your instructors teach you, but eventually you adjust to what is the most effective thing for you.

In the meantime, it gets interesting when one will come up to me and say "no no, do it THIS way," and then another will come up and say "No no, THIS way." I'm so new, I usually don't manage to do it quite like any of them are telling me to do it, but the way I see it, they are all giving me a different piece to the same puzzle, and they are all giving me solid advice. It is up to me to find just the right way.

My instructors are a 2nd dan, a 5th dan, and a 7th dan. They all come from different eras of training, though the 2nd dan is in some ways the most old school, since he took a 23 year break from Kyokushin, haha.

My primary sensei says "sometimes, you just have to listen, say OSU, and go back to doing what feels right."

I said "OSU!"

He said "Okay, don't take my advice THAT quickly!"

Hahaha.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

I changed organizations about two months ago, so I'm actually re-learning some of my kihon right now. Fortunately it's to my benefit, as before I was learning under a 2nd dan and now I have access to an 8th dan and a 5th dan. So far I've made positive changes to several techniques (some being my chudan uchi uke, yoko geri kekomi, and morote chudan uchi uke) and it definitely is that light bulb moment.

Rateh - To me that's strange about not leaning into the kick, as it's the opposite in Kyokushin. We get yelled at if we lean back, and are encouraged to lean forward to get more body weight into the strikes. It's always interesting to see how two arts can have different approaches to the same thing.

I may come of as a bit disgruntled, but it's more like I'm waiting for someone to validate that I'm wrong here...

Why would the technique for say, the morote chudan uchi uke matter? (if by more uke you mean this:

)

I mean, I don't think people would ever block like that in a real fight... you're better off pulling a chudan soto uke and leaving the other hand to cover your face or ready for a counterpunch or some other attack...

I'm just doubting why some martial arts techniques exist, I guess. Like the morote uke, or the kokuto uko.

The way he teaches it, it's a uraken strike to the inside of the elbow, with the other arm giving it a lot more acceleration for more power. Hence, more a strike than a block. After striking with the uraken, that hand can now become a kizami tsuki and the supporting hand can follow up with a shuto uchi uchi.

Kyokushin is all about fighting, but we also include other techniques than what you typically see in knockdown.

Not sure what kokuto uko is, do you mean the wrist block (some call it kakuto uke, others call it koken uke)?

Though I'm not very good with them myself, I have seen quite a few karateka use them brilliantly. Because of their nature, nukite can follow up immediately after one as can other hand techniques.

Yup! That's what I mwan, kakuto uke... I had the wrong spelling :lol: