• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt lengths

I have searched all over the internet and not found my answer to this question...

Why the belt length differences?

Aside from the obvious that it could be preference, I noticed a trend.

Grapplers don't have long belts and that's often because it can get in the way. From my Judo experience, they don't allow it because if it's so long, they'll actually grab your belt and use it against you.

In styles like TaeKwonDo and Karate, you see belts that are long. Sometimes they belt is practically down to the knee.

Is there a reason they are so drastically different in length? Is the only reason have to do with practicality?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have searched all over the internet and not found my answer to this question...

Why the belt length differences?

Aside from the obvious that it could be preference, I noticed a trend.

Grapplers don't have long belts and that's often because it can get in the way. From my Judo experience, they don't allow it because if it's so long, they'll actually grab your belt and use it against you.

In styles like TaeKwonDo and Karate, you see belts that are long. Sometimes they belt is practically down to the knee.

Is there a reason they are so drastically different in length? Is the only reason have to do with practicality?

Most often they are used by competitors for tournaments because they make your stances look lower and they flop around more so you look like you are torquing your hips more than you are. I stick with a medium length belt, myself--on the long-side of Judo-legal length--just as a personal preference. I don't like how the super-short Judo, Jujutsu and BJJ belts look and I don't need to use a belt to make me look better in competition. Some people do just like a longer belt, though, so there is that.

ETA: This does not apply to children--they are likely using either hand-me-down belts or belts for them to grow into

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I think a longer belt looks cooler 8)

But If was in a real fight I wouldn't want a long belt getting in my way.

A warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it.

"Under the sky, under the heavens, there is but one family." -Bruce Lee

I tend to like my belts longer (mid thigh or a bit longer). For me, it's a bit of a mental thing. When I was younger, I was thin & wore a long belt. Then (wearing the same belt) I gained 40 lbs & it started to look very short . I felt like I looked like the stereo typical "fat guy" wearing a tie that's to short for him. Now, I've lost the weight, a long belt feels normal/good.[/code]

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I prefer not to get whipped in the eyeball by the end of my belt while kicking!

8)

Sorry...but THAT'S FUNNY!! ROFL!! The visual is killing me...LOL!!

:lol:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

IcemanSK, good on ya' for losing the weight!

Ninjanurse, I know exactly what you mean! In TaeKwonDo, I kept constantly having the belt flop in my face and I would look goofy. I don't think some fellow students realized that with long belts and high kicks comes backlash of the belt. :lol:

IcemanSK, good on ya' for losing the weight!

Ninjanurse, I know exactly what you mean! In TaeKwonDo, I kept constantly having the belt flop in my face and I would look goofy. I don't think some fellow students realized that with long belts and high kicks comes backlash of the belt. :lol:

Thanks Adamo! With an injury came the weight gain. It's fun to have a belt that fits again.

As a teen, I came home from class with a black eye. Everyone at school the next day figured it was sparring. It was because the corner of my belt found my eye during axe kick practice 8)

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Mark one more down in the category of "I used to be fatter so I associate a short belt with an improper fit due to being overweight" category... though I don't take the same view with others, just with myself. It's a preference. I kind of like it hanging low, seems more graceful than when it sticks straight out! Also, it's how my sensei prefers it, so it seems "normal" to me.

I think my belt hangs to about mid-thigh. I do a striking art, so it doesn't get in the way, and looks kinda neat swinging around in a kata. It's also some extra distracting movement during kumite, and I'll take whatever I can get there!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.