• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So have you made the decision?

Toad

After looking around on different forums in subjects about MA, i got qurious about one major question one should consider deeply in the concepts of "BUDO".

I'm talking about The "Giri" concept or should i keep it simple and just say: Moral Obligation, which arrived from the feudal period of Japan.

Giri has many iterpretationis and meanings but for me as an simple karate-ka it has the meaning of my obligation to my wife, my family and to my master.

Many people today is unsure of what they are studying or what is their goal. They think: is this the orginal style? is this the best master? is this the best style? Many tend to tryout many different styles and that is of course a good thing. But don't do it too long.

Here is some famous quotes:

"Our plans miscarry because they have no aim. When a man does not know what harbor he is making for, no wind is the right wind." Seneca

Man is a goal seeking animal. His life only has meaning if he is reaching out and striving for his goals. Aristotle

There is of course many many more famous quotes but one should think about it and ask yourself: have i really studied the art i'm doing now?

Maybe it's an thing when you mature in Budo, maybe around 35-45 years your ready for a decision in your life which you can give to your master. I have sworn my Giri to my master which intend to hold. This is my way of Budo. This might sound that a bit boastfully or old fashion. But for me it's an natural and uplifiting thing. Have one master, one art to study deeply and to progress in thru life...

"The world makes way for the man who knows where he is going."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

So my question for you is: have you made your decision yet?

I'm courious if any of you here are commited to what you are studying by giri?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The summation of why is to the summation of because. The only opinion that will ever matter to me is my Dai-Soke. Beyond that, it's all blah, blah, blah. I've dedicated my life to him for well over 45 years, and I still do, even after his death last year.

However, I serve only one master, and it's not my Dai-Soke, and it's not the martial arts/"Budo". No, that belongs to my lord and savior Jesus Christ!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I am committed to studying and bettering myself and my training. I look into what I am doing, and try to make myself better. As far as "committing" myself to a "master" or my instructor, no, not going to happen. The committment I have made is to my wife and kids.

Giri is an out dated philosophy in modern times. Fewer children are expected to support their aged parents, and the lieutenants of industry do not give their lives for the corporations they work for. They are more likely to bail out with their "golden parachutes". IMO if Giri exist it has evolved into a form of nationalism.

Most of us treat the institution Karate, the dojo we belong to, and the friends we make in the same way adults or children play baseball. I think its not a good thing to make too much out of an anachronic concept.

I've never been to fond of this honor your master thing, I don't think I'd call anyone master. Not that I'm arrogant, but I don't think anyone should be called master. If you are learning from someone that wants to be called master than he/she isn't a real teacher.

The word master has different meanings. For me, to call someone a master martial artist is like a master craftsman. I would say my teacher is a master martial artist, His experience goes back to the time I was born, he's studied many facets of the arts, gained a competence in weapons, kicks, punches, trapping, clinch and grappling. He's taught for 20 years, some of us instructor level ourselves. He's an example of a great martial artist and a wonderful human being.

We call him Tim.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I am committed to studying and bettering myself and my training. I look into what I am doing, and try to make myself better. As far as "committing" myself to a "master" or my instructor, no, not going to happen. The committment I have made is to my wife and kids.

I agree, my loved ones - family and friends are those who I give myself to freely.

Thats not to say that I do not respect and love my Masters - and that they are not my friends (they are), but MA has given me something that goes beyond Karate, and that is the filtering of what you might call "Giri" into my whole life.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."