• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting Shaolin Training

Dear members of the forum,

I have a strong desire to start training Shaolin. Preferably in a good environment with masters. I do not think this can be found in Holland (if so, please let me know!)

My dad and I agreed that I should spend the summer vacation on practicing Marshall Arts. Are there any Shaolin training opportunities in the summer. Are there open Monasteries, dojos or other Shaolin training environments? Also, will they allow foreign students do these monks/guides/trainers speak English next to their native language?

Thank you for your time!

FortuneCookie

It's not about fighting, it's about balance.

It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance.

It's not about balance...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think you can plan a trip to train at a Shaolin Temple in China, if you do some looking. Keep in mind, though, that its likely to be more like current Wu-Shu training than what the Shaolin monks of old would have been doing.

• 2 months later...

The answer is still exactly the same as the other post about this. Instead of wasting your money by going to a temple, just go to China, hang out in a few different cities, find a few different local places and train there. Be a tourist, have fun, take part in the park scene, learn a lot of stuff. Don't go to a temple, where you'll be stuck the entire time, because they'll teach you exactly the same thing you'll learn anywhere else in China. You need to read a lot more about the history of modern Chinese martial arts. They were basically wiped out on the mainland after the Communists took over.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War