• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

McDojos

I am not gonna bash any martial arts because my sensei has taught me many life lessons and a major one is too never judge before I have tried it and also due to the fact that a lot of McDojos come from a bad instructor, but isn't anybody getting fed up with dojos testing their students as soon as possible to get money and their students couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag or they have no knowledge of the martial art and its history because their instructor and dojo leaders are slacking?

The path leading to anger and conflict is wide and easy to travel the path leading to self control and discipline is narrow and difficult

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

today i screwed something up and knew it and i was an idiot for falling asleep during the move lol it wasnt major but u know its wrong when its wrong if u are taught right. my shihan is very "old school" we have junior shodan level and black belts adults. very different from what the junior shodan learn and we learn but we learn the same things just at a different level.

Not only does my shihan teach the moves where most if u watch they dont know the bunkai, they dont know the stances and they have no power. If u got hit by most the black belts in the world , i wouldnt worry too much.

today we did the first kata and i'm not gonna try to spell the name because i'm tired . i'm on bassai dai but, he worked hip rotation and power through the punches. we had to count how many hip rotations in each part there were . he made sure our hands were where they were supposed to be and we were loaded as if we were fighting for the next move we didnt even get all the way through pinan nidan:( . lol so slow motion for me a lot harder i fell asleep and didnt turn the right way one part i was kicking myself in the pants.

if u watch on line blackbelts notice their hands are wrong, their stances etc. i can tell if they are doing it right now i may not do all my moves right as far as drive and power yet, but omg tonight we were working the front leg kick so that it affected the hamstring muscle and omg ow!

not all karate is taught the same. shihan said what we're learning in his dojo is how to throw the techniques w/ minimal force and have optimal power.

takes 1000 punches to learn to do it correctly.

Ok well thats the whole point of this forum is to post things that will spark discussion, who said I am judging anybody? I am just saying I think that it makes the martial art community look bad so thats why I wanted to see what others think.

The path leading to anger and conflict is wide and easy to travel the path leading to self control and discipline is narrow and difficult

Let's continue to train!

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

Yes, it is a sad fact that McDojos are out there, and will continue to be out there. One thing the McDojo discussion does is continually generate awareness in what we do as a whole, makes us continually challenge ourselves as to what we do and how we do it, and drives us to ask how we can be better.

Would I like to see them gone? Yeah, sure. But once they are gone, instead of talking about how McDojos suck, people will instead attack the next rung up the ladder, those with schools who although may be teaching good stuff, just aren't as good as some others out there. So, the ones that may get dubbed as "elite" establishments may talk down on those who are not as well established, or have different criteria or credentials.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I would see happening.