• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

shoes?

I too agree with everyone here that depending on the instructor; you'd be able to wear shoes while training once you've explained your situation. The wearing of shoes for the born-in-the-wool traditional instructor might not be an option no matter what the excuse presented. For that type of instructor, the wearing of shoes will be forbidden.

Therefore, search for an instructor that would allow, I would, the wearing of shoes while on the floor, and then ask that instructor what type of shoe would he/she allow...then after that...it's all about some serious training.

Good luck and please, keep us informed.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most people have pointed out the three most important issues.

1. Be sure to talk to the instructor before joining. Explain your situation and why you need to wear shoes.

2. Purchase shoes that are designed to be worn on mats. Wrestling shoes and martial arts shoes should fit the bill nicely.

3. ONLY EVERY WEAR THEM INSIDE THE SCHOOL. Never...ever...wear them outside for any reason. You could bring in some nasty things like hook worm, plantars warts, and staph infections by wearing them outside and then wearing them on the mat.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I know w/ ms karate has helped me immensley but, i will never get " better". as far as cured.

Stronger maybe til the point it decides its time for me to stop fighting it.

Although balance practicing you most likely will have to work a lot harder than most people in your class. i know i have to practice routinely to keep my body able to do stuff.

I looked at the wrestling shoes on line, they're a bit more cumbersome than water shoes.

Watershoes soles are not hard and the tops are soft. for kicking the wrestling shoes are pointed and they're high tops. Which would restrict ankle movement for front kick and spinning back kick etc. slippers could work if they are like berkenstock soles but not that soft u have to be aware of how you kick someone when you do have a shoe on.

if u have issues w/ balance practicing while holding on to something til you figure out ur center of gravity is a good idea has helped me a lot. i personally dont feel the bottom of my feet. i can to walk and drive but bare foot on floor no. w/ shoe yes. i live in shoes 24.7:(.

To avoid injury you really need a martial arts shoe. Water shoes are too flimsy and slippers are too loose and inflexible. There are many brands out there that offer good support and protection. I would allow a student to wear them provided I was satisfied that they were secure and appropriate for the martial art being taught.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

To avoid injury you really need a martial arts shoe. Water shoes are too flimsy and slippers are too loose and inflexible. There are many brands out there that offer good support and protection. I would allow a student to wear them provided I was satisfied that they were secure and appropriate for the martial art being taught.

8)

what shoe would be recommended then? cause martial art shoes are hard to come by?

Check out some major supply companies such as Tiger Claw or Century. They have products that you should be able to choose from. As far as brands go I prefer "Discipline" shoes for the fit.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 2 weeks later...

As far as brands go I prefer "Discipline" shoes for the fit.

I also have MS and I use the Discipline shoes. They help me alot. They are fairly soft and flexible but yet provide enough support to help me.

I am working toward my 3rd Dan level in Shotokan which I never dreamed would be possible when I was diagnosed with MS years ago. But, I have found that training really helps me fight the MS and helps so much with my coordination. I can do most moves as well as anyone that does not have MS, but I sometimes have to modify my moves slightly. I was very fortunate to have an instructor who understood my needs and taught me ways to make modifications that would be acceptable even in competitive situations.

Everyone here is very correct, talk with your instructor. Most good instructors are more than welling to help you make adjustments and allow needed accommodations as they know that your condition can benefit greatly from training.

Edited by senseikellam

Sensei Kellam

Karate is a way of life!

http://cranemartialarts.ecrater.com/

Thanks y'all! I purchased some shoes by Golden Tiger and checked with the sensei. He said that they will be fine as long as I only wear them on the training floor and not out and about. So, I'm all set!

@Senseikellam: I've actually had MS also, since I was 16 years old, but I've mainly been in remission for the past 18 years. When I went to college, I had some problems with my balance and coordination and TKD helped me immensely! I can't wait to get started with these karate classes!