• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

shoes?

I'm considering joining a "traditional karate" dojo with my kids. I took taekwondo in college and later developed sesamoiditis in my left foot, which concerns me a little. I know in traditional karate, shoes aren't allowed, but could a sensei make an exception and allow MA training shoes for my situation?

I know I really just need to ask him, but I just wanted to know the general consensus on this.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would think that you would be able to find a school that would make an exception for you. You may have to buy a pair of MA shoes dedicated for that class only, to be either left there in a changing area, or brought in a bag, so the instructor knows you weren't walking around outside with them on, mainly to preserve his/her floors.

I'm considering joining a "traditional karate" dojo with my kids. I took taekwondo in college and later developed sesamoiditis in my left foot, which concerns me a little. I know in traditional karate, shoes aren't allowed, but could a sensei make an exception and allow MA training shoes for my situation?

I know I really just need to ask him, but I just wanted to know the general consensus on this.

it doesnt hurt to ask, i did the same as you but I have ms. Most people aka dojo's do it for respect to the culture or they just dont want to replace their mats.

I find that u can use water shoes if u ask . i do not feel the ground when i walk barefoot (sensory thing). Which i've tried w/ no shoes 3 times worse.

my shihan lets me and i am thankful. i do find water shoes are soft on the top atleast and let u have more flexibility but if u want something softer try a lyrical shoe or a ballet slipper. Sometimes slippers can work too but the soles u have to watch for being too hard or too slippery.

u just have to remember when ur kicking ppl u have something on your feet they dont so just keep in mind how u kick.

Wrestling shoes are a good option--as long as you only wear them in the dojo they won't tear up the mats and they are a full-coverage shoe with good flexibility.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Most instructors probably wouldn't have a problem if you explained your situation and you have a particular pair of shoes that were only worn inside. I'd look at the types of shoes that were meant for this type of thing, maybe wrestling shoes or TKD type shoes are pretty ok as well.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Thanks for the feedback, you guys!

Zalexia, it's good that you are taking martial arts with your MS. I have MS as well and the TKD I took in college really helped me with my coordination. I can't PM yet, being new to this forum, but you can shoot me an email if you'd like.

While shoes provide relief, I understand that training with them will not advance curing the situation. Isn't best not to train as long as you have this condition? You might consider training in a chair as long as the condition is not cured.

Well, it's not currently inflamed. There is some arthritis there, though, that I just don't want to aggravate to the point where I'm having to get off it completely for weeks at a time. I'm thinking that wearing training shoes with support inserts will prevent problems.

• 2 weeks later...