• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparing Help

Kross

If it's allowed at your dojo, have someone coaching from the outside. Set a goal, throwing a certain combination or technique etc. Let that person know and then have them try to keep you on task while you spar. Verbally reminding you to go for that goal. When you're getting caught up in not getting hit, hitting, they are watching you do/not do what you should be aiming for. Helps bring your brain back to what it's supposed to be thinking about.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you 'developed' your sparring style yet? Generally under a sensei you take up 1 stance but a lot of people take diffrent movements guards etc etc

*note it depends how you fight what your goal is*

For example

I have a low guard for a better centre of gravity. I spar quickly and efficiently with my LEGS. I tend to combo up mowashi keri with well spinning hook kick *read my name* I feign with my legs a lot as well. I want to knock my opponent down quickly to gain the point (well it tends to be more half point) so I tend to 'rush' My uraken and punches suck though as they never land *well sometimes. I have quick but fluid movements

My friend Ryan is influenced by boxing. He has a quick but more rigid movements. His guard is to his face. He waits till his partner is drained and begins to make mistakes as he goes for the full point *e.g If a strike is landing that is a half point, If a combination that renders your opponent unable to hit back is landed that's a full point :) *

My 3rd example is Alan. He has a 'medium' style. He has the basic one hand up one hand held back stance. He uses his fists to wear down his opponent then uses his legs when his opponent can't block.

When you spar with someone over and over and over and over again you can clock onto there style and learn a counter. For example maintaining many kicks is tiring so if I do a spinning hook kick to slow someone can grab one leg throw me down and land the strike for a full point. Everyone has a weakness :D

"In order to achieve victory you must place yourself in your opponent's skin. If you don't understand yourself, you will lose one hundred percent of the time. If you understand yourself, you will win fifty percent of the time. If you understand yourself and your opponent you will win one hundred percent of the time.

- Tsutomu Oshima"

• 2 weeks later...
Well i do ok with the kicks, but i can never seem to land any punches, and i can't really read my opponent to well. I also have a hard time with the timing.

get your dad or older siblings (if you have them) to stand in front of you and punch Choku-zuki and never lift your eyes from them, you'll see a twitch or a blink when they punch which will give away when they're going to do it.

try that

~Rhi