• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparing Help

Kross

Are there any drills that you can do by yourself to improve sparring? I just started Kyokushin, and i always get destroyed when we spar... So if there is any advice that you could offer it would be great!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kata. Kata helps. Also, basically any drill you do in class. Until you have some experience with what you're good at, and what needs to be improved, drills from class are probably your best bet. And by the time you figure out what you are good at, and what you need to improve, you'll probably have a fairly good idea of what kinds of drills you need to do anyways.

However, if you need some direction (maybe you have a weakness that isn't addressed) there are drills that can probably help. For that kind of help, we kind of need to know a little about what actually happens when you get destroyed.

........I just started Kyokushin, and i always get destroyed when we spar... So if there is any advice that you could offer it would be great!!

It appears that you are a beginner. Kyokushin is one of the tougher Karate Organizations in terms of free sparring methods. Assuming that you have a good grip on basic techniques, the classics teach you to "Invest in Loss". When you win, you learn nothing. Learning comes from how you respond to loss.

IMO, learn to see your opponent. If you can see them grimace and blink while hitting and getting hit, you are on you way to learning concentration. Study distance. When you can strike each time your opponent comes into range, you have learned to see, and trust in your reflexes.

Well, there are many drills and the like that one can do by themselves to hopefully improve ones kumite, but, imho, the best way to improve ones kumite is to actually kumite. I know it's not the answer you were hoping for, but offering you one drill after another is fine, but being able to transition said drill(s) into actual kumite, well, that can be very hard to do, especially with beginners.

Beginners, without ever trying, seem to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but, it's all part of learning. Before long, you'll have your AHA moment!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Are there any drills that you can do by yourself to improve sparring? I just started Kyokushin, and i always get destroyed when we spar... So if there is any advice that you could offer it would be great!!

OSU!!!

Welcome Kross-san to Full Contact Knock Down Karate, I know you are going to enjoy your journey through your grades etc.

You Tube is your friend!!!!!

I would recommend Shadow Sparring, just trying to put some combinations together. If your Sensei/Sempai has a Bag do some bag work before class. this will get your mind in the correct process for KnockDown Karate Sparring.

I'm not Kyokushin but I am Ashihara karate which is from the same place.

If you ask your Sensei to assist you, i am sure he would give you some extra time to help you. But don't try to run before you can walk, take each lesson with its own merit

OSU!!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Being destroyed means the people who have practiced the art are better than those who haven't. Continue to get beat up until you get beat up less.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Yeah. Debrief.

After you get "destroyed", don't settle for "He beat me", tear the whole thing apart and try to work out exactly what happened.

Also, don't try to "win". Sparring isn't about winning. It's about working on the stuff you've learned. Trying to "win" in sparring is what creates things like the martial arts "experts" who get attacked by a real threat and throw several lightning-fast kicks which barely ruffle the mugger's clothes, then turn their back to try to foul out the mugger.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Practice kata more and spar more. Also, try sparring people from other styles every now and then, as not everyone spars the same way that Kyokushin fighters do. It's all a learning experience, especially losing. Ask the people who beat you what you did wrong and HOW they beat you.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Thank you all for replying, i will deffinatley ask my sensei for some help, but one problem is i cant spar with people from other styles because i dont know anyone else who does martial arts and because the only other school near me is almost an hours drive... So there is that dilema, but i might be able to get together with some guys from class and have a free sparring session om our own to try and improve outside of the dojo.