• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Best heavyweight gi?

Zen Kamikaze

Yes, the gi do run a bit short. I also agree with you and prefer the longer length of the gi top, however I wear the pant legs and sleeve's short. Just my preference I suppose.

My Hanshi and other's in our class all wear short length in pants and sleeves. I wish the Piranha length was longer though in the gi top. If you don't mind my asking did you order a size (3) or a size (4)?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotcha, yeah. I recently ordered a (3) from Piranha because they said that their sizes run large, and if your unsure, order down. So I did, and I felt like I put on a kids uniform, haha. The bottom of the Gi top came up to the pant drawstring, haha!

So I am shipping it back and they are sending me a 4. Should fit more accurately. I regard myself as a small person, but apparently I am not a teeny as the people who complain about their uniforms being large in their reviews, haha.

Well cool, at least you like the quality. I like those Ki Mugen Gi's as well, but I don't own any. Maybe I'll make a purchase there as well. Thanks.

Hey Billy Parker,

I like the Ki Mugen as well but the ones I really love are the ones by Meijin.

I live in Alabama and it gets warm here so I like their Meijin tropical during the summer months and the quality is just as good as their pro and premium uniforms.

Check them out:

http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/Products/Pages/Meijin_tropical.htm

Sensei Kellam

Karate is a way of life!

http://cranemartialarts.ecrater.com/

Hey!

I looked up the Meijin uniforms, pretty good stuff apparently. Seems like a quality setup. I may purchase one down the road to see whats what. When it comes time for me to give away uniforms, (to those who can't afford them) I buy replacements. Most of the time I buy uniforms from different companies to see what's improved, what I like better. So far Piranha is my brand favorite.

My only complaint is the same as yours, they aren't cut long enough and even in their product description they explain they have a longer top. But in reality not so much. Also, they are subject to change. They have an open product criticism policy. They take the bulk of complaints and likes, and they change the product design to best fit the following of loyal customers. So as time goes by the cut of the Gi changes. Pretty neat policy in my point of view.

American's tend to like a shorter top, don't know why, but that's why it's becoming shorter I assume. I prefer the longer cut, it's more traditional and I don't have to take grief from my Hanshi.

• 5 weeks later...
Hey!

I looked up the Meijin uniforms, pretty good stuff apparently. Seems like a quality setup. I may purchase one down the road to see whats what. When it comes time for me to give away uniforms, (to those who can't afford them) I buy replacements. Most of the time I buy uniforms from different companies to see what's improved, what I like better. So far Piranha is my brand favorite.

My only complaint is the same as yours, they aren't cut long enough and even in their product description they explain they have a longer top. But in reality not so much. Also, they are subject to change. They have an open product criticism policy. They take the bulk of complaints and likes, and they change the product design to best fit the following of loyal customers. So as time goes by the cut of the Gi changes. Pretty neat policy in my point of view.

American's tend to like a shorter top, don't know why, but that's why it's becoming shorter I assume. I prefer the longer cut, it's more traditional and I don't have to take grief from my Hanshi.

Yes, I noticed that Euros like longer tops. Is it the cooler all-around weather? Enoeda wore longer tops UK. But Nishiyama wore shorter tops in the US.

I use a Muegen gi with a longer top with shorter sleeves, and the rest of the class looked at me funny. They all wear shorter tops with longer sleeves. Muegen advertises the shorter tops as "traditional" cuts. LoL.

I have a few made by Bushido; 16oz and 14oz that I paid less than $65. You can't find them that low. I love them! Check out budomas.com

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• 2 weeks later...
What's the point/benefit for a heavyweight gi versus a lightweight one?

I won't go into much detail in this thread, but one benefit is that heavy weight uniforms are generally more durable. The thicker material will take longer to wear out, and the stitching it typically better. This isn't always the case, of course. There are some high-end, expensive uniforms that are on the lighter end of the spectrum. Also, heavier uniforms tend to look sharper. More crisp. This is subjective, of course, but many agree. And they tend to have better pop when doing forms. At traditional Japanese karate tournaments, you virtually never see a high level kata competitor in a light weight gi.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

• 2 weeks later...

@senseikellam

I was wondering, to take shrinking into consideration how many sizes up should I go in a meijin gi so that the gi will shrink into the size i want?