• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good DVD

rbasm

Im looking for some advice on a beginner karate dvd to pick-up. My main focus will always be judo but I'm hoping to use some karate as a good warm up when I do, fitness training. I did some karate when I was younger and I have worked some MMA recently (kickbox, boxing) any advice would be helpful thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This question has been posted tons, and every time the advice is for beginners to seek out someone to train them. DVDs are just not a good idea if you don't already have a very solid martial arts background. Same goes with books and magazines. With Judo you need a partner, which means you both need to have training.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• 2 weeks later...

If you are looking for fitness training, there are tons of things to do that will focus on fitness better than watching from a Karate video. Look into something like P90X or a general aerobics class. These things would suit your needs more appropriately.

Sounds like you pretty much want a cardio boxing thing. Boxing was noted to work well with judo, as boxing clinch and judo's start position are apparently identical. Personally i'd just suggest putting the time in to find someone to teach you some boxing, so you can work the drills on your own.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Fitness-wise, there actually is a pretty decent workout DVD out there called "Simply Karate." I use it from time to time to mix things up as a workout.

http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Karate-DVD-Mark-Richardson/dp/1741570131

The author, Mark Richardson, is a Kyokushin karateka who gives you a pretty good overall workout while introducing you to what karate really is. Though it definitely can't top an instructor, it's actually pretty decent.