• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

a little shotokan help

Fish_headz

Actually, just learned today that i will probably test in June for my shodan rank. hopefully i do alright.

Congrats!! Believe in yourself....you'll do great!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I normaly do not let any of my students learn a new kata until they have tested and passed. As far as ranking system, it varies between schools but most are very similar.

white

red

yellow

orange

green

blue

purple

brown

black

Some schools leave out the red

To search for old is to understand the new.

The old, the new. This is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

By: Master Funakoshi

Some of the old school ranking went...white, brown, black. Even some styles went...white, green, brown, black.

JKA Shotokan ranking goes...9th kyu to shodan and up...white, yellow, orange, green, blue (5th/4th kyu), brown (3rd kyu/2nd kyu/1st kyu), black (shodan - judan).

Possibly, those here at KF that are of the JKA Shotokan could confirm and/or correct any errors I've made here.

:)

I don't remember an orange belt. But it's been a while.

I recalled ust 5 belts. White in the beginning. Black on the end. And a combo of 3 colors in the middle.

I have come from a extremely traditional Taekwondo background and the Taekwondo that I learned was very similar to Shotokan. Our kata was even based on the Shotokan kata's. Our black belt kata's were Shotokan specific though. Such as Gonkaku. That was the 2nd degree kata.

I have been a sincere student of Shotokan now and it's been absolutely wonderful. I have no interest in anything else currently. It's completely taken my brain over. haha.

I had the same issue, In our organization there may be numerous kata to one examination, and also be prepared to learn many kata before you ever advance. Kata has a special and central place in Shotokan. So that's the bulk of your education. It's like a car, and if you want the key's then you must find those on your own. Bunkai is hard to come by, and if you come by it -> question that it's not misleading.

I came across a man who was taught "bunkai" of his kata, and it had came about later that he was intentionally misled because of organizational conflicts. JKA (vs) SKI. Interesting stuff. But yeah, just learn the kata, it's great stuff and think outside the box with them! Osu! :)