• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is shadowboxing?....

Hi, my question may seem easy , but I couldn't figure out shadowboxing fully. I watched some videos on youtube and it seems people are just punching the air aimlessly. What actually is shadowboxing? Do you fight an imaginary opponent or strike any attack you want? And does it work for shotokan karate? What are its benefits? Any help is greatly appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shadow sparring allows you to train unpressured and allows you concentrate on developing techniques and putting combos together as well as other things.

I wrote an article for totally TKD issue 21 page 41 about benefits of shadow sparring very basic but it may help you.

Jason

Edited by jason ainley

I see shadow boxing along the same lines as I see Kata; both important and similar training tools for the martial artist.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I was on a different forum and someone asked basically this question, but with kata. It of course quickly devolved into a monkey poo fight about how kata is completely useless vs. kata is a god. Between the OP and the poo fight I managed to get in that Kata is alot like shadow boxing or running drills with a partner. If you're doing sets of Jab-Jab-Cross over and over, you're basically doing a kata, if you're doing it to the air, pads, a bag, or working it with a partner. Someone else quickly insulted me, said the two are nothing alike, and didn't say anything else.

Just thought of that story, and thought some people might find it interesting.

Shadow sparring allows you to train unpressured and allows you concentrate on developing techniques and putting combos together as well as other things.

I wrote an article for totally TKD issue 21 page 41 about benefits of shadow sparring very basic but it may help you.

Jason

I read your enlightening article, thank you, Jason. I understood why it is important and how it is done.

I see shadow boxing along the same lines as I see Kata; both important and similar training tools for the martial artist.

I was on a different forum and someone asked basically this question, but with kata. It of course quickly devolved into a monkey poo fight about how kata is completely useless vs. kata is a god. Between the OP and the poo fight I managed to get in that Kata is alot like shadow boxing or running drills with a partner. If you're doing sets of Jab-Jab-Cross over and over, you're basically doing a kata, if you're doing it to the air, pads, a bag, or working it with a partner. Someone else quickly insulted me, said the two are nothing alike, and didn't say anything else.

Just thought of that story, and thought some people might find it interesting.

This means I should do shadowboxing to improve my kumite as much as I train on kata.

I also watched an anime about boxing (Hajime no Ippo, 4th episode) and it was nice to inform a beginner :)

Thanks for all the answers, I can see this constitutes a crucial part of martial arts training.

I have another question: Is this a good example of shadowboxing?

I think he is good, but doesn't he lack power? Thanks for your invaluable opinions.

I have another question: Is this a good example of shadowboxing?

I think he is good, but doesn't he lack power? Thanks for your invaluable opinions.

Yes, the video in your link is a good example of shadowboxing. In the video...I see no power in any of his techniques and this is because, imho, he's working on another part of his shadowboxing and in that, he's not using his hips for the translation of power. Nonetheless, he's working on combo's and this is important to work on so that you're not executing the same old thing over and over and over...mix the techniques up....and he was trying to do just that.

Imagine your doing heavy bag work....now...remove the heavy bag...there you go...you're shadowboxing...use of the hips is up to you. I do both when I shadowbox, use of my hips, but I'm primarily working on fine tuning my combo's while keeping respect to the basic fundamentals.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

It could be that he's working on some aspect other then power. I'll regularly do combinations like a low round kick, a high round kick, and then a round kick to the stomach. Odds are, none of those kicks will have much power, and they'll probably be fairly slow. However, what I am working with my balance (to stay up long enough), my agility (to be able to move my leg in between strikes), accuracy (hitting a specific target) and possibly speed (if I decide to get a little squirrelly). I could do the same thing by working a combination with a backfist, that rolls into a ridgehand with the same arm. Odds are, it will not generate power. But, it will force me to work my reaction time, speed, agility, and accuracy (if I'm aiming for specific targets).

Any of the components of fitness and, and should, be worked in shadow boxing in some way, generally with some focused drills, and some which are more generalized.