• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Oss", The Karate Greeting

ashvin

One doesn’t have to be around a karate dojo very long before hearing this word pass between members. Students and instructors alike will commonly bow to each other upon meeting, or as class is about to begin, and say oss. But what exactly does it mean?

In Japanese the word oss is written as a two-character combination. The first character means “to push,” and the second means “to suffer.” Together they symbolize the importance of pushing, striving and persevering while suffering through whatever difficulties, pains and hindrances are encountered along the way. So, at the literal level, oss is simply an affirmation of the positive attitude, high spirits and refusal to quit that all karate people seek to develop as they train. On a deeper and more general level it might be translated as “keep the faith,” in the sense of karate philosophy and goals. And, finally, it serves as a greeting expressing warm respect and friendship, the Japanese equivalent of a warm handshake.

Sometimes students who do not clearly understand the meaning of this word will use it incorrectly. For example, it is not usually used as an affirmative remark to signify agreement, in the same way that hai (“yes”) or wakarimasu (“I understand”) might be used. Nor should it be shouted out as a kiai word while executing strikes and kicks.

Should it be used by parents of students when greeting instructors or students? In practice, anyone who supports the goals of karate and has an interest in learning about it may appropriately greet karateka, if they wish, with a bow and an oss, as a sign of respect and admiration for what they do. Alternatively, the good old American smile-and-a-handshake are equally acceptable.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all karate dojos use that. I've never heard it at mine. In fact, we don't use much Japanese at all. The whole concept seems a little awkward and a bit silly to me. You don't walk around greeting each other in ancient Greek during track and field practice, why do people greet each other in Japanese for martial arts training? To each his own, I guess...

• 2 weeks later...

Oss is more of a Japanese Karate thing. It is incorporated into the idea of Budo. That idea isn't shared by Okinawan Karate.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Its also very much a knockdown karate thing too, we use OSU!!! a lot. I think it depends on the origins of the style of karate you do and your Instruictor. In some parts of Japan Oss or Osu is considered as a "Dirty" word so should only be used inside the Dojo.

I find that predominately the only styles that use it are:

Kyokushin (all Variants)

Ashihara (all Variants)

Enshin (all Variants)

Shotokan (not all Dojo's.)

I can't think of ever hearing OSU in a Shukokai/ShitoRyu Dojo before your post.

OSU!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Yeah, that's exactly what I've seen. We used it at the Kyokushin dojo I was attending. I've never used it in an Isshin-ryu Karate dojo or a Goju-ryu Karate dojo. I saw it used at one of the three or four Shotokan Karate dojos I have visited.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

OSU!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)