• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

8 year old WHAT??!!

Should an 8 year old really be an ADULT shodan blackbelt?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should an 8 year old really be an ADULT shodan blackbelt?

• a. no, that's way too young.
    • b. yes, he can be an adult blackbelt
    • c. maybe, if he has the skills

No way. An 8 year old is not old enough to have/know the responsibilty of a BB. Yea they might have the physical part down, but there is no way they have the mental part, or the disipline, or the responsibility of the rank.

Dee, as far as a little kids BB, like a black with a white stripe through it or something, may be a treat for the youngsters (but not a legit rank). And like your school, when they come of age, it should change to adult green belt. That's not a bad idea. And they will get the real thing when they turn 16.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
[color=indigo]Our school has a junior black belt, but the youngest kids who get it are usually ten or eleven. They have a junior black belt test which is similar to an adult black belt test, and if they pass they get a red and black "poom" belt. Sadly, very few of them stick around for more than a year after they earn their junior black belts. If they do, my instructor will choose when he wants to re-test them for a regular black belt. The youngest age of a child he has re-tested was 15. Most of the time they are around 17. Then again, there aren't many students dedicated enough to make that switch.[/color]

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

In my opinion, it is not right to give someone a full shodan at such a young age. Martial Arts is Mind, Body and Soul united as one. The child may have the Body and partially Soulful part of Martial Arts, but mentally they are not ready for such a huge skill. They don't have the full capacity to know everything which is right an wrong. They are not ready to handle the pressures of knowing what they know and using it when they can, which can be used for good or bad, depending on the child. So...no I don't think it's right..

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make" -Bruce Leehttp://www.myvidtodvd.com/mysmilies/otn/other/leseratte.gif

http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/xerx/smileystooges.gif

Hey,

If the above text (first post) is indeed a copy of someone elses work, please credit that person.

On topic, a tabloid does not mean anything as they are satrical. It is poor to use it in this context or any context like it.

No, Patrick, I do not copy others work. The reason being, I take pride in my own. I personally, am insulted that this was suggested. The first post is a true story, about a child in my state. I did not copy it, for how can you copy the truth. As an aspiring writer and poet, I take very much offense, and am surprised that this comment came from you, patrick, although I am sure it was not meant to insult, it cut me deep, man.

GRRRRRRRRRR,

Dee :karate: :kaioken:

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

Take it easy, Dee... it was a simple misunderstanding.

If you read the posts after yours it states something about "taken from a tabloid"... or some such, although it was not a comment on your post, I could see where it could be construed as such.

Black belt rank should be reserved for those individuals who can not only pass the physical testing but they should be able to explain the philosophy, history, and purpose behind their respective discipline IN THEIR OWN WORDS!

A black belt test should not consist of mindlessly parroting memorized text. Any black belt should be able to articulate the hows and whys of all they have learned up until the black belt test. and in my opinion the average pre-teen does not even come close to qualifying. (sorry kids)

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"