• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unsu SLOW Version

sensei8

I see simple block/strike counters to start out with. The middle section with the front kicks is beyond me. I'm sure there is some movement point there, but I can't see it.

The pull in and front kick could be a clinch and low kick, pulling the bad guy in, or could be a pulling motion into a reap.

The jump and spin at the end...no clue.

Unsu is the only traditional Shotokan Kata that has Roundhouse kicks in it. I found that some what interesting considering that the Roundhouse kick is one of the more used kicks during Kumite.

The world of Bunkai has so many INTERPRETATIONS of any said kata, and Unsu is no exception. That jump and spin towards the end has some solid interpretations from all four corners of the karate world, but, it also has some far fetched interpretations as well, imho.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I see simple block/strike counters to start out with. The middle section with the front kicks is beyond me. I'm sure there is some movement point there, but I can't see it.

The pull in and front kick could be a clinch and low kick, pulling the bad guy in, or could be a pulling motion into a reap.

The jump and spin at the end...no clue.

Check out interp. of the bunkai after the kata

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q42Br_EaDlg

Thanks for sharing that, Chuck. That was an intersting look at the jump spin. Stepping off and kicking like that was interesting. Not sure I'd try that one, but he looked good doing it.

Bob, I don't doubt you at all there. In Choong Moo hyung, we have a jumping 360 spin that ends with a double palm block. Its just digging in and finding out "why."

• 3 weeks later...
In Choong Moo hyung, we have a jumping 360 spin that ends with a double palm block...

Sorry to derail the topic slightly here, but double palm block? Its usually done with a knifehand guarding. Double palm would make for some interesting and different applications instead of a simple jump-spin-guard. :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

In Choong Moo hyung, we have a jumping 360 spin that ends with a double palm block...

Sorry to derail the topic slightly here, but double palm block? Its usually done with a knifehand guarding. Double palm would make for some interesting and different applications instead of a simple jump-spin-guard. :)

Doh! You're right, Danielle. The double palm block comes before the jump spin, not after. I had a bout of dyslexia, I guess. :) Thanks for setting me straight. The double knifehand block does come after the jump spin.

Doh! You're right, Danielle. The double palm block comes before the jump spin, not after. I had a bout of dyslexia, I guess. :) Thanks for setting me straight. The double knifehand block does come after the jump spin.

ah ok. I thought it was another change by your GM - was thinking up some scenarios for its application :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Sadly I never got up to learning unsu but it is my favourite kata just because of the jump. I did however learn most of kanku sho and I guess the jump is similar to the one in that. I have never really thought of an application for such a move.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Excellent video and thanks for the link .

As a instructional video it is great , I have put it on my list of favourites , it is a good reference for those who are learning unsu or maybe haven't done it for a while and can pick good points from this demo . obviously performed at this speed it is all about correct technique and sequence ,timing and the spirit of the kata can not be displayed at this speed .

The famous unsu jump has many different applications , in my mindset my left hand is grabbed and pulled away from my body so I follow the momentum by twisting my hip and kicking the opponents hand with my right leg thus freeing my left hand and then land kicking the opponent who is approaching from behind with the left leg ushiro geri !! :lol:

never give up !

Sadly I never got up to learning unsu but it is my favourite kata just because of the jump. I did however learn most of kanku sho and I guess the jump is similar to the one in that. I have never really thought of an application for such a move.

Jay i dont think the jups are the same, i know the unsu jump as i know the kata, i hav never leanred Kanku sho but i think it is only a 180 not a 360 jump i think kankusho is more a a jump and twist whereas unsu is more of a spin?