• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bassai dai Commentary

sensei8

Hopefully, many of you here will enjoy Bassai dai in this video as done by Sensei Paul Walker.

As slow as he's doing this kata; what Bunkai did you see?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually thought it was rather good and have added it to my favourites

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I thought that those commentary links would be very helpful to those students learning said kata from anew, and that's why I started those threads. Those links would also show Helan and Tekki kate commentaries as well. The Bunkai question was...well...just a question for those to ponder for the fun of it.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Hopefully, many of you here will enjoy Bassai dai in this video as done by Sensei Paul Walker.

As slow as he's doing this kata; what Bunkai did you see?

IMO, the majority of this kata is about arm-locks, arm-bars and wrist-locks, supplemented by a couple of punches. I think I even see a throw at the end followed by two arm locks just before the shuto uke. Most of this kata is meant to defend a shoulder grab, by attacking the attacker's elbow & shoulder joint.

The wrist lock was done incorrectly by the way. One attacks the wrist an an angle, otherwise one has zero leverage. This is how Aikido is trained. And the thrusting side kick to the knee has to impact at an angle to the knee to damage it. So the technique should be at a 45 degree angle rather than linear as shown.

Just my 2 cents.