• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Improvised equipment

Nevinyrral

Hi, does anyone know how to make some useful equipment for training?

I come up with idea how to make a grappling doll, I'm going to sew together socks, pants, blouse, gloves and hat and stuff it with rags. What do you think?

A style is just a name.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You will need to add weight to it to make it a somewhat realistic training tool. Somewhere around 90 pounds would be good. I hope your stitching is good if you decide to throw it--I used to train Judo with a guy who ripped a throwing dummy completely in half with an uchi-mata.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Well basically all my training equipment is home made. I only bought a heavy bag, because all those I mede didnt last long:)

The best grappling dummy I can suggest is an old heavy bag. They are good for working position changes on top. The arms and legs of course are imaginary.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Loads of stuff you can do, what do you want to work on?

- For accuracy, especially with kicks, hang a strip of cloth off of something (e.g. tree branch, washing line, ceiling) and try to hit it so you're just touching the tip and making it flick every time you hit it.

- Similar set up to the one above but fill the bottom of an old sock with sand and you've got yourself a slip bag to practice with.

- Fill a duffel bag with old rags and bedding for a heavy bag.

- Fill jars with sand or some sort of ballast and pick them up with your fingertips to improve grip. Slowly work your way up to heavier jars. (Don't use anything you wouldn't want to break though!)

Depends how elaborate you want to get and what you want the stuff for.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 2 weeks later...