• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate in combination with other MA's

Without know what FortuneCookie is trying to get out of his/her training I will say this. I trained in karate for over 15 years and my dojo closed about 8 years ago. Life got in the way of my martial arts training, (two kids will do that you know), until about a year and a half ago. I began studying Aikido and have found it to be a great compliment to my karate training. Aikido really teaches you how to deal with multiple attackers and will keep you off the ground. Just my $.02...

Respectfully, I ask how you know for sure Aikido will keep you off the ground? I've trained in Aikido some (not extensively, but some), and although I see the merit in the style, I don't see it as a grappling defense answer.

Nothing is a guarantee but an accomplished Aikidoist would be extremely difficult to get on the ground. Most grappling arts deal with one on one situations for the most part and not multiple attackers.

Not for an accomplished Wrestler or Grappler. I haven't seen to many take down defenses in Aikido that I have done, and very little actual grappling, other than pin maneuvers. Aikido is very much a standup style, with a focus of joint locking and throwing.

I was an accomplished grappler way back in HS. I have only studied Aikdo for a couple of years. Someone trying to get a hold of an accomplished Aikidosit to take him or her down is I for a surprise.

"Foster and polish the warrior spirit while serving in the world; illuminate the path according to your inner light." Morihei Ueshiba

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to agree with bushidoman on this, from my experience aikido isn't the best answer to counter the takedown. However, from your post you make it sound as if you're talking about evasion from the initial contact rather than a countermeasure once lock up is achieved.

If this is where you're coming from, then it would seem to be a stronger position to take. Aikido's footwork is fluid and quite evasive. Is this what you're getting at?