• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BJ Penn Closed Guard book review

Another book that I've been aiming to write a short review on for awhile but hadn't gotten around to. It's part of Penn's "Book of Knowledge Series" of which he also has an MMA title out in.

This particular offering is "Brizilian Jiu-Jitsu: The Closed Guard". It's laid out much like any other Victory Belt publication. The same high quality printing and, more importantly, photos that they've shown in their other products. You will pay a bit for these, although the MSRP is probibly not too far out of line given the cost of similar products on the market.

Again, both presenters are in different color gi's, a bonus that has become standard in the industry it seems. All tacics in the book are shown in the gi and many of the movements rely on it's use. This might bother some people, but bear in mind is't a BJJ offering, not MMA.

The layout is excellet with him dividing beyond simply chokes, arm attacks, ect. It is futher divided by the method of application. For instance, the choke section is further broken down into chokes via the collar, arms, and triangle positions.

As far as content, it is well designed, with a showing across a wide array of technique. An even happier find for me was a second on basic drilling and posture control, as well as submission drills.

There are some chaining options given in the book as well. This is a good addition, and one that's not seen often enough.

On the down side, there is only one view of most movements in the book. Granted, they will put a second picture up with a slightly different angle for partiularly critical or difficult sections. This is a nice compromise, but I'd prefer the entire series of the movement to be visualized from different angles.

I'm sure some people will feel there is too much "basic" technique. I'd counter with that is where the game will be decided- in one's fundimentals. The best thing about this view of the basics is that Penn really breaks down alot of small features that often get overlooked. Espicially outside of the traditional BJJ class.

Overall, I'd recommend the book to anyone intereted in making their guard game better in a gi. For no gi guys, you'll get less than you'd probibly like, but there are still points to pick up here. I would ceratinly rate this offering better than his MMA book.

No replacement for class, certainly. But a good, well sturctured reference volume that is broken down well.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cool thanks for that review. I will have to put this on my list.

I think we used to have a book thread, maybe if I have time later I can compile some of the reviews from the old one and add in some of these new ones, maybe as a sticky with a contents page if a mod will allow it. I posted some last year as well.

I agree with you that books are not a replacement for class but as you said they are great tools for reference. I have been reading/viewing some technique usually before I go to class and then work on it when I get there, I think it has helped my progress.

Edit :lol: Im stupid the research library thread is already a sticky just not very well organised. Can't believe that I missed that!!!

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Thanks for sharing this, Alex. :)

Link to buy the book: http://www.amazon.com/Brazilian-Jiu-Jitsu-Closed-Guard-Knowledge/dp/0981504469/ (buying through a link posted on KarateForums.com leads to us receiving credit for the sale). :)

Thanks,

Patrick

Thanks for the review, tallgeese. The only books on BJJ I've got are the ones written by the Gracies, and I've been pleased by all of them. But, I see others out there, and am never sure of which ones to pick up. This helps, especially since my knowledge is so limited.