• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question about Kata's

Taiikuka

yup, it would be recognized between us but you would be scratching your head if you came to our school and the same if I came to yours id be scratching mine.

Right now, our Hanshi is in the process of getting each kata to exactly how tatsou trained and it gets confusing but then you realize the application that he was trying to achieve with it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
The problem with TKD is basically the North Korean/South Korean rivalry. In a nutshell, that is the main reason for the different forms.

Which of the 2 koreas owns created TKD? Or maybe one "owns" WTF and the other one "owns" ITF?

The ITF forms were created under South Korea, but when there began to be some competition between Choi and some others, Choi left and went to North Korea, because they offered to sponsor his TKD there through the government. So, he jumped ship, and in South Korea, the WTF came about with the goal of becoming an Olympic sport. Choi was trying to reach this goal, as well.

Right now, our Hanshi is in the process of getting each kata to exactly how tatsou trained and it gets confusing but then you realize the application that he was trying to achieve with it.

Well according to my instructor, who studied under two instructors who both studied directly with Tatsou Shimabuku, he taught the kata slightly differently to different people. When the Marines got together to work on what he had taught them, they found out he had taught them each a little differently.

not true lupin, my hanshi was the last one to keep studying under tatsou and visited him quite often with the marines there. They where all taught the same, its probably there interpretation of how they thought tatsou was teaching them since his english was not very good. I dont see our hanshi alot, he is also the only recognized 9th dan in the US under Kichiro. Thats why we had a world tournament about 12 yrs ago bringing all associations together under one banner but there was too many bickering bout who was the legit high rank next to kichiro. Talk bout ma politics at its worst.

But thats why hanshi and kichiro have mulling over the notes, old movies and anyone still alive that will talk to the two.

The problem with TKD is basically the North Korean/South Korean rivalry. In a nutshell, that is the main reason for the different forms.

Which of the 2 koreas owns created TKD? Or maybe one "owns" WTF and the other one "owns" ITF?

The ITF forms were created under South Korea, but when there began to be some competition between Choi and some others, Choi left and went to North Korea, because they offered to sponsor his TKD there through the government. So, he jumped ship, and in South Korea, the WTF came about with the goal of becoming an Olympic sport. Choi was trying to reach this goal, as well.

Interesting... thanks!