• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question about Kata's

Taiikuka

I was in Tae Kwon Do and in that art they have 2 major groups. the WTF and the ITA now if you study at a school depending on who they are with you will get different sets to learn is that the same in Shotokan or do you learn primarily the same no matter what your club is part of.

First learn stand...then learn fly...nature's rule..Daniel-san, not mine.

-- Karate Kid, The

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

-- Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pretty much every style has its own group of kata. There's a lot of overlap, especially in the Okinawan styles (several styles have a version of Seiunchin, for example), but I'm not sure how much overlap there'd be between Taekwondo and Shotokan. I doubt there would be much.

No that isn't what I ment. I mean if your club is affiliated with one governing body and another club is part of a different one like say mine is S.K.I.F and yours was the JKA would we still do the same Katas because in tae kwon do you don't each governing body has its own forums and that was a bit annoying.

-- Karate Kid, The

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

-- Bruce Lee

JKA (Shotokan) and SKIF practice the same kata. There are some minor differences, but the 26 kata are about the same.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

Thanks

-- Karate Kid, The

-- Bruce Lee

• 2 weeks later...
The problem with TKD is basically the North Korean/South Korean rivalry. In a nutshell, that is the main reason for the different forms.

Which of the 2 koreas owns created TKD? Or maybe one "owns" WTF and the other one "owns" ITF?

I can answer this with the isshinryu mindset. If Lupin was to come to our dojo she would be very confused on some movements even though its same style. Our Hanshi has started going back over his notes, old movies and conferences with Kichiro on what Tatsou actually meant by certain movements in the kata.

So yes, even though we study the same style it is vastly different depending on how the instructor percieves the moves. Not always with the association itself.

Case in point I went home finally last week and sat through class (i'm disabled so its hard for me to do certain things ) and while watching the students, seisan which is our first kata changed agained from what i was shown over 5 yrs ago.

I can answer this with the isshinryu mindset. If Lupin was to come to our dojo she would be very confused on some movements even though its same style. Our Hanshi has started going back over his notes, old movies and conferences with Kichiro on what Tatsou actually meant by certain movements in the kata.

Haha. My instructor changed parts of the kata, as well. They aren't very big changes, but they're there. Mostly his changes come from trying to teach them to people and having them flap their arms around randomly, so he refined the movements to make them more purposeful and clean. When I taught myself Chinto from videos online I really only had to change one or two things in it to make it into my instructor's version. I'm sure we'd recognize the kata easily, though.