• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Combating burnout from to few training partners.

I'm not sure this is what you're looking for, but when mismatches happen in my dojo we usually train in some way that is out of the ordinary. For example, we may do a cardio class where we circiut train from push-ups, to sit ups, to squats, etc while running laps in between sets. By the end of the class everyone is gassed! Or we may get out the kettle bells and medicine balls and weight train. The point is to shock the body.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Just seeing if anyone else had experienced this problem, Our system consists of very few people. When one or more of those people are not present it really throws off the balance of things. A normal workout for us usually consists of 2-4 people that are, for the most part, of very different body type. For example, tonight it was myself 5'9 150, and Liverpunch who is 6'1 270. Neither one of us is able to get what he needs on the mat from the other. We were both pretty unmotivated and decided to give it another shot tomorrow. As i said, i am just seeing if anyone else has experienced such problems in trying to keep a regular core group to facilitate a balanced training regiment for all.

You can work plenty of techniques with a guy who is bigger than you. He can certainly work them on you too. This is especially good for you. Afterall, any martial art worth it's name is designed to defeat the bigger, faster, stronger opponent!

What happened is you fed off the negative energy. So instead of having a good, productive class, you both got nothing. You must put forth positive energy. Even (especially) when there a only a few people. They will feed off of your positive energy and next thing you know, there is some good training going on. When I have a small class, I look at it as an opportunity to focus on what I want to work while giving the other guy a private lesson.

What about the bigger, stronger, faster and more skilled opponent?

Stand up is really not the problem, but when it comes to BJJ being outweighed by that much makes it very difficult to work certain techniques. Plus its not to much fun to get crushed all the time. As far as the negative energy goes, yes it is very difficult to sustain a positive outlook all the time, what is difficult is that we get into a rut occasionally with our training and need new energy to stir things up now and then.

MP, no problem, we didn't expect you to get out with the weather as bad as it was. It would just be nice to get some of our news guys to show some commitment and show up every once in a while.

I have to say that sometimes I work grappling with kids as sometimes they come in our class. I always learn something. For instance if you go about to escape certain positions you will find there is much less space so you have to be more precise. Then when I have gone back to a regular sized person it is much easier. I don't have much choice who I work with but I can honestly say I like working with everyone because I always have somthing in my head im working on. Bigger people are hard to work with but I have gotten to like the challenge.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Try drilling from position to work your top game. Maybe rounds from there so you're not getting smashed. If you get swept, subed, or otherwise put in a negitive posture just reset.

Or work super light with technique 15-20 percent. Don't be afraid to call each other on it. You'll be better off because you will be able to work and learn without being smashed constantly. LP will improve because he will have to focus on pure technique without the use of his natural abilities. This willl drive his ability to flow and link series up.

Consider rolling while blacked out occassionally as well. Moving without the lights slows everything down, or should. It really moves your technical capacity and feel upward; thus, it usually keeps smashing down. Plus the new factor of it will keep you from focusing on how few partners you have. It will keep training fresh.

Also, the bigger guys need to treat smaller guys the same way more advanced belts treat white belts to a degree. When I roll with a newish guy, I'll take mount but won't ride it with my A game. I'll usually set it, feel it for a couple of seconds then either lighten up so they can work a sweep on me or transition to another top position and work from there. Me crushing them with my best mount for the round accomplishes nothing for either of us. Signifigantly bigger guys need to get in the same habit. It will let them work more and more stuff rather than just a small aspect of their game.

Just some thoughts on dealing with one of the issues you mentioned GS. As to class sizes, well, it's always kind of been that way with smaller clubs. I've felt the same thing. Keep recruiting. Maybe try to cozy up to local PD's to see if you can generate some intrest. A couple of guys invovled who end up in scraps as part of their job will keep you focused. Futher, they will get more bodies availiable.

Have you guys thought about putting on a demo down there. Maybe not in the traditional sense but looking into demonstrating some exhibition bouts of MMA, just for fun on the part of the participants, during the Fall Festivial somehow? I know that you know a promoter :) . Maybe some competition jiu jitsu as part of the card? Throw in some combative demos between bouts to showcase that side of things? Just brainstorming based on who all you have access to down there.

It might serve to get some people interested, which might be what you need. Of course, a bunch of new people brings problems of it's own but it would get more bodies in to keep you enthused.

Yes, we do that is well, sometimes the ADD just seems to set in and we get bored doing the same stuff.

I feel you there. Its tough when it seems like nothing changes. I think it was Einstein who said that do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insanity, or something like that.

I've done many training sessions where it is just me and one other guy, and we usually do a combination of Combat Hapkido and general DT applications for our job. We usually do a good job of putting stuff together and not getting bored, but when we do get someone different in there with us, it does change the attitude of the session a bit.

I also agree with ps1, that you've got to go in positive, and put out that positive energy to get the session rolling.