• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Combating burnout from to few training partners.

Just seeing if anyone else had experienced this problem, Our system consists of very few people. When one or more of those people are not present it really throws off the balance of things. A normal workout for us usually consists of 2-4 people that are, for the most part, of very different body type. For example, tonight it was myself 5'9 150, and Liverpunch who is 6'1 270. Neither one of us is able to get what he needs on the mat from the other. We were both pretty unmotivated and decided to give it another shot tomorrow. As i said, i am just seeing if anyone else has experienced such problems in trying to keep a regular core group to facilitate a balanced training regiment for all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most of my training partners have always been smaller than me. I have always gotten just as much out of training with skilled light weights as I have my own weight class. The reason being is that the smaller fighters are always the most technical as they have no strength or size holding them back. My goal has always been to be 220 and fight like i'm 155. I do however feel you on the fact that when people don't show up it puts a damper on the mood. More people creates more energy in the room and more tends to get done. I get my training done in the mornings and it's usually with 2 or 3 people other than myself.

Its not that im upset that people can't make it to workouts, people have busy lives and im ok with that. We are centered out of a small town and it is very difficult to find quality training partners. We may get a new guy in every now and then but they rarely stick around for more than a month.

It's very difficult to train with less then a dozen students. I think that thirty is the minimum desirable number of students in a class. As long as sempai are helping, a class can handle over 50 students. Quantity is important, especially when it comes to practicing kumite.

Just seeing if anyone else had experienced this problem, Our system consists of very few people. When one or more of those people are not present it really throws off the balance of things. A normal workout for us usually consists of 2-4 people that are, for the most part, of very different body type. For example, tonight it was myself 5'9 150, and Liverpunch who is 6'1 270. Neither one of us is able to get what he needs on the mat from the other. We were both pretty unmotivated and decided to give it another shot tomorrow. As i said, i am just seeing if anyone else has experienced such problems in trying to keep a regular core group to facilitate a balanced training regiment for all.

You can work plenty of techniques with a guy who is bigger than you. He can certainly work them on you too. This is especially good for you. Afterall, any martial art worth it's name is designed to defeat the bigger, faster, stronger opponent!

What happened is you fed off the negative energy. So instead of having a good, productive class, you both got nothing. You must put forth positive energy. Even (especially) when there a only a few people. They will feed off of your positive energy and next thing you know, there is some good training going on. When I have a small class, I look at it as an opportunity to focus on what I want to work while giving the other guy a private lesson.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

You can get a lot out of training with mismatched partners. Even in my club where there are +100 people, there is literally nobody who is of similar size and weight to me. I'm 5'10 and 200lb which is in the top weight category for females and all the other women at the club are a lot smaller. Whereas most heavyweights rely on slow but heavy hits, because I've been either training with lightweight females who are a lot faster or the heavy weight men who can hit harder, I've become a lot faster and more agile than the fighters that are in my class at tournaments.

Use this as an opportunity to get better.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

well as i have ms i find i have to constantly practice to keep up w/ the agile kids. i find the kinect boxing is great for stamina if u have that if not,

at night when the kids are in bed i go downstairs and i found a good way to practice fighting when u dont have a sparring partner is, stand in a room w/ a big window. Reason i say at night is, u get ur reflection in the window if u leave the light on behind you. then i aim for my head etc. i will practice all the stutter stepping , shuffling up and do it for the same time u would spar w/ your class.

keep ur combinations going.

Also just keep moving ur feet fast and kinda think to urself if they threw this at me i'ld do this to compensate.

it keeps me moving keeps me on my game and i think is very helpful.

Stand up is really not the problem, but when it comes to BJJ being outweighed by that much makes it very difficult to work certain techniques. Plus its not to much fun to get crushed all the time. As far as the negative energy goes, yes it is very difficult to sustain a positive outlook all the time, what is difficult is that we get into a rut occasionally with our training and need new energy to stir things up now and then.

MP, no problem, we didn't expect you to get out with the weather as bad as it was. It would just be nice to get some of our news guys to show some commitment and show up every once in a while.

Stand up is really not the problem, but when it comes to BJJ being outweighed by that much makes it very difficult to work certain techniques. Plus its not to much fun to get crushed all the time. As far as the negative energy goes, yes it is very difficult to sustain a positive outlook all the time, what is difficult is that we get into a rut occasionally with our training and need new energy to stir things up now and then.

MP, no problem, we didn't expect you to get out with the weather as bad as it was. It would just be nice to get some of our news guys to show some commitment and show up every once in a while.

Yeah, especially those going into law enforcement. I do everything in my power to avoid conflict, yet train more than most people who fight drunks in a professional capacity. I could say the same of some bouncers.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma