• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Comeing back after some time off

Taiikuka

When i was a child i did Kendo Karate, Then in High School I practiced Jeet Kune do. My Wife did Tae Kwon Do about two years ago and obtained an orange belt.

We were looking to get back into Karate and where looking to do Shotokan. Can you guys give me some ideas of what to ask when we are looking at school. We think we found a pretty good one in our area.

My wife is looking to get in shape and I am looking to be involved somewhat in Kumite there is a lot of Kumite in my Area of NY so that won't be hard.

First learn stand...then learn fly...nature's rule..Daniel-san, not mine.

-- Karate Kid, The

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

-- Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If I were you I would go see how they practice (most dojos allow you to watch, and some even give you a free lesson). You can also ask the people in the dojo what do they think of this club, about sensei, and just check if they are nice. Also you can check their websit (if there is one) or find some info about your sensei on google :)

It all depends on what you expect to find in the dojo.

A style is just a name.

If I were you I would go see how they practice (most dojos allow you to watch, and some even give you a free lesson). You can also ask the people in the dojo what do they think of this club, about sensei, and just check if they are nice. Also you can check their websit (if there is one) or find some info about your sensei on google :)

It all depends on what you expect to find in the dojo.

I second this motion :karate:

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Shotokan has become quite fractured over the years. Find out which accreditation organization the school belongs to and, probably more importantly, which sports body because it will say a lot about what sort of kumite you'll be training to.

If you have trouble researching the organizations themselves check back here. It'll ring somebody's bell.

we all have our moments

Yes, by all means, visit said dojo but visit that said dojo more than one time and watch different classes. Do some research on your own through the internet or library. After that, gather some questions that you both might have, and then ask them of that Chief Instructor.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Well they are part of the S.K.I.F. and as far as their events go they are part of the N.Y.T.K.A. I believe from what i have heard in my area that the N.Y.T.K.A. is very good and is comprised of many school so wither it is Kata or Kumite there is a lot of others to judge yourself against.

If anyone knows anything about these please let me know?

-- Karate Kid, The

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

-- Bruce Lee

Sounds to me like you're on the right track.

When you check out a dojo always keep an eye on the senior students and ask yourself if you that's what you want to be like (not just technically) because they're the prime example of what the head instructor is turning out.

we all have our moments

Thanks for the Help guys. Hope to be on my way to getting that training I have always wanted since i was a boy and one day when my son is old enough he to will train with my wife and I since it is a good bonding experience

-- Karate Kid, The

-- Bruce Lee