• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Buying Belt Before Promotion?

I think it would be a good motivational thing. And at the test, when it finally comes, the instructor could tell the student, "Congratulations, go get your belt off the wall. You've earned it." Why not?

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How I would take it would depend a lot about how the person bying the belt takes it. So if I'd find him as a person only out for belts and honor, I'd condemn it.. But if not, if he's a respectable practitioner and so on, It'd be just fine.

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

• 1 month later...
Wear the black belt at home if you want to because what you do in the privacy of your own home is your business.

:)

Say huh?

I couldn't wear a belt i didnt earn yet for fear of upsetting the shotokan gods. :)

i had my orange belt hanging in my room for about 6 months before i took the test. Didn't ever wear it though. not ever.

Its kinda like hoisting the stanley cup over your head when you didnt win it. taboo.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently ran into this with my BJJ instructor. He texted several people due for testing and told them to bring their next belt with them. After my testing he asked me if I had my belt and I told him yes it was laying on my gi top and pointed at the belt I had been wearing during my test. He told me no my new belt since I had passed the grading test. I told him I had not even ordered it because I had not earned it yet. His whole reasoning was because he wanted to tie our belt on us. In my case I came home and ordered the new rank and will still get the honor of him tying it on me during the next class.

• 6 months later...

I have thought of this myself. I haven't actually done it though.

I'm scheduled to test for the 1st Dan in March. I have been planning on purchasing a belt display for after I earned my black belt. I have spoken with one of my master instructors, and her response was a sort of chuckle saying that I could purchase any belt that I wanted to, provided I was prepared to defend it when doing so.

I had pretty come to the conclusion that I would purchase an additional black belt for display purposes AFTER I had earned a black belt. I had one of our senior instructors tell me that he felt that I would have no trouble defending the belt, I still didn't feel right about buying one.

So I'm waiting for my black belt test before I purchase a black belt. At that point I can feel good about the fact that I'm not displaying anything that I didn't earn.

just my opinion

Exco

1st Dan Black Belt- Tang Soo Do

Certified Assistant Instructor Tang Soo Do

I had a student join my class years ago with no prior martial arts experience. He was in his early 20's and he told me from the first that he had bought a black belt when he was 16 and had it set up as a little shrine in his room and hoped some day to earn and be able to wear it. (Yes, a few alarm belts went off about this)

He really was a lousy student, and thought he knew it all, when he actually knew nothing. He lasted maybe a month and quit coming. A few months later I ran into another sensei from a different dojo and we got to talking. This students name came up and the other sensei said this guy and coem into his dojo and again, stayed about a month then quit coming. I made it a point over the next month to drop in and say "Hi" to other local instructors I was on good terms with, and found out this guy had done the same thing to two other dojo's.

Anyway, as to the question...I see no problem buying a belt before you earn it. Just don't use that as your goal.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Seems presumptuous to me. I would not do it nor encourage my students to do such a thing. How can they learn patience and humility if they fill their cups before the ceremony?

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Seems presumptuous to me. I would not do it nor encourage my students to do such a thing. How can they learn patience and humility if they fill their cups before the ceremony?

I have to agree with you, part of being a martial artist for me is being humble. Buying your belt before your test just assumes too much and if I figured out a student did that I don't think that I would pass them.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• 2 months later...

I have to agree with you, part of being a martial artist for me is being humble. Buying your belt before your test just assumes too much and if I figured out a student did that I don't think that I would pass them.

I agree with you both, its not something i would contemplate.

Its not just about incuring the wrath of the Karate Gods (!), as another poster says, but there are too many variables with it, and with life in general also.

Accidents, illnesses, long-term unemployment etcetc.

These things and more may neccessitate taking a break, or long breaks, away from Training, some things may neccessitate having to give it all up for good!

I'm not saying don't, just saying its not something i would do.

But whatever floats yer boat, floats yer boat!!

''Board's..........don't hit back'' The late and very great Bruce Lee, in the movie Enter The Dragon.

I agree with you both, its not something i would contemplate.

Its not just about incuring the wrath of the Karate Gods (!), as another poster says, but there are too many variables with it, and with life in general also.

Accidents, illnesses, long-term unemployment etcetc.

These things and more may neccessitate taking a break, or long breaks, away from Training, some things may neccessitate having to give it all up for good!

I'm not saying don't, just saying its not something i would do.

But whatever floats yer boat, floats yer boat!!

''Board's..........don't hit back'' The late and very great Bruce Lee, in the movie Enter The Dragon.