• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

White, Brown, and Black!

Is a THREE belt system attractive to you?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is a THREE belt system attractive to you?

• YES
    • NO
    • MAYBE
    • I DON'T KNOW

I know some of the testing fees in our school get kind of high. Its also no secret that if one charges for testings, and has more testings than fewer, then you are likley making some money on the testings. No lie there.

But, that is up to the organization/instructor. Would instructors just charge more for the fewer testings?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted Yes,

The only issue is that due to the influx of Mcdojo's and Belt Factories, and some TKD schools having anything upto 15 Gup Grades etc people want to see something for their money.

I would be happy with White, Yellow, Green, Brown, Black, but grading would include a Tab between each. But some feel "cheated" if all they got for their grading fee was a Certicate and a bit of Electrical tape.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• 1 month later...

Personally I don't care too much about what belt I am as long as I know I"m improving, but I find I want to have my brown belt (grading soon) because it shows my progress to others. If I say I have (only) a purple then people don't believe I've made progress. I foudn in my old dojo that I was happy to go a year between gradings, but the Sensei as well as other students looked down on me for not grading. :roll:

Overall, I think it can help those who need goals/reminders and children, and it is nice to see your progress, and others by their belt colours. But remember just because someone is an orange belt doesn't mean they aren't very good. I had to do one step sparring with an orange belt yesterday and I was surprised to see that his skills were equal to mine... just a reminder ;)

External training without the training of the mind is nothing