• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is the reason why you joined the Martial Arts?

What was the reason you signed up to take martial arts?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What was the reason you signed up to take martial arts?

• Self Defense
    • Get in shape/stay in shape
    • Something new or fun to try out
    • Disicpline
    • other (Please state what it was)

I was originally enrolled in Kendo because I was getting picked on in school. I was a big kid so it was odd that they would pick me back in the 3rd grade but I wouldn't fight back at all. Not 20 years later it is about staying in shape. I played baseball my whole life as a 1st basemen or a catcher. Now i can't even walk a day after a game. My flexibility is shot and I hurt all the time.

I also like the competition not that I want to go around beating people up I just like to see where I stand with my peers and to my understanding the tournaments in my area are run very well with good fun competition so i hope to enjoy that aspect of the "sport" side of it soon.

First learn stand...then learn fly...nature's rule..Daniel-san, not mine.

-- Karate Kid, The

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

-- Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put "other". I was 7 when my mom put me on the waiting list to get into the class (8 when I actually got in) and I was absolutely convinced that if I learned karate Zordon would pick me to be the next Power Ranger (the orange ranger).

Thats exactly the same reason I got into Martial arts. Except I wanted to be the green one. Maybe one day I will get to play him :lol:

I did'nt really watch Power Rangers until the last couple years. I was 12 when they got started and was already a fan of more adult oriented martial arts films, so I thought they were for 7 yearolds. Now I can enjoy the cheesiness as well as the martial arts and the freaky interpretive dance of the putties. Now I've been watching Power Rangers in Space, and I'm joining the Astronoma fan club. :brow:

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I got into it for self defense and a lifelong interest in it. I stayed when I noticed that it was one of my true loves of life and the confidence that I gained from the study of the philosophies. :D

The most successful battle is the one in which you master yourself.

RW: I agree that those methods seem like the long way to learn how to do techniques. But, they do help to develop power in the limbs that do the techniques, and develop mechanics that transfer into the shorter way of doing the techniques. I'd much prefer to learn them in the more efficient manner like done in Boxing.

However, I do think they were for self-defense first, and as more formalized training became standard, these things started to take shape.

• 2 months later...

I'd have to say it was a natural interest based on my environment groing up, (dad=marine, cousin went to military school, grew up watching lots of jackie chan movies...et cetera)

*shrugs*

and the family military recod effects it because my cousin would mess with me and test my reflexes, and dad knew alot about how to fight. Plus the jackie chan movies got me interested in actual martial arts, so I looked them up on the internet and asked questions. Things just kind of developed from there.

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee

I put "other". I was 7 when my mom put me on the waiting list to get into the class (8 when I actually got in) and I was absolutely convinced that if I learned karate Zordon would pick me to be the next Power Ranger (the orange ranger).

Thats exactly the same reason I got into Martial arts. Except I wanted to be the green one. Maybe one day I will get to play him :lol:

I did'nt really watch Power Rangers until the last couple years. I was 12 when they got started and was already a fan of more adult oriented martial arts films, so I thought they were for 7 yearolds. Now I can enjoy the cheesiness as well as the martial arts and the freaky interpretive dance of the putties. Now I've been watching Power Rangers in Space, and I'm joining the Astronoma fan club. :brow:

HAHA. I thought it was ironic that at the time I did not know it but a teacher of mine trained one of them.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

I was bullied in junior high. So, I figured I'd start training in high school to change that. Funny thing was, the kids changed in high school & it wasn't an issue anymore. But I was hooked on MA almost from day one. More than 28 years later, I still love it. I've never needed to use my training in self defense. I enjoy the workout, perfecting techniques (a never-ending pursuit) & the life-lomg friends I've met during my training.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• 2 months later...

I started out in high school doing Karate with my younger brother.

It ended when the Instructor tried to have his way with me.

I decided to give it another try when I was 28. I was doing very well (Great Instructors) Competed in several in school tournaments, Won two first place trophies. My husband put them out for the trash one morning and made me stop training.

Well I am divorced and have been at my current school training for almost two years (with my daughter). We are testing for our blue belts this Saturday.

Martial Artist for life!