• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is the reason why you joined the Martial Arts?

What was the reason you signed up to take martial arts?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What was the reason you signed up to take martial arts?

• Self Defense
    • Get in shape/stay in shape
    • Something new or fun to try out
    • Disicpline
    • other (Please state what it was)

Initially to stay in shape. My knees where taking a pounding from running. I just happen to drive by a dojo one day and I thought what the heck. Everyone at the dojo was so nice and accommodating that it was hard not to return. After taking a few classes I found that MAs appealed to the athletic side of me while satisfying the analytical part of me.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't start martial arts until my 20's. I remember having wanted to learn a martial art since I was a child. I was a small kid, occasionally picked on, and wanted to learn something to be able to defend myself against the bigger kids. However, my parents couldn't afford them at the time.

When I was in my 20's a new school opened up just down the street from one of my friends and we decided to stop in and try it out. Even though I was no longer that pint-sized little kid, I still wanted to learn a martial art for the self defense. Over the years of training, many other doors were opened and I learned there was much more to it than just the defense, but that's what started it all for me.

Do you think that most martial arts (for example, karate, taekwondo, kung fu and kempo) were actually designed as self defense systems?

Looking back at my shotokan days, I can't help but wonder things like the following:

- Why would you ever pull your hand all the way to your ear only to do a shuto uke (knife hand block).

-Why would anyone do a block by taking his/her hand all the way to his/her ear in order to start an ude uke (forearm block)?

-Has anyone actually tried a rising block (yodan age uke) with their hand starting on their torso and rising the arm all the way to the face?

These seem unfeasible because they just take too long. While a strike to your face only needs to travel from the other guy's guard to your face, your hand/arm needs to travel BACK to your ear or torso, then go FORWARD again and start the block, effectively doubling the distance. No matter how fast someone is, this greatly reduces chances of blocking the hit...

Or what about strikes?

-Why do we chamber punches? Why do we pull the opposite hand to the waist? Has anyone actually chosen to do knife hand (shuto uchi) or spear hand (nukite) strike in lieu of an old fashioned jab/straight punch?

I know the answers to this questions... in the case of the blocks, the answer is "in a real fight we don't really block like that". In the case of the chamber punch, it's the same, "we don't do that in kumite". In the cause of the unusual specvialty punches like the open hand strikes, the answer is "the apply to a limited and very specific range of circumstances" (like "what if you need to strike the opponent's inner thigh or underam?)

This is all fine but... then why do we have so many blocks and strikes like that all over shotokan/taekwondo and other things like that in other arts? And don't get me started about the stances...

Thing is, I've come to the conclusion that maybe many, many martial arts were not designed as self defense systems, but rather as arts... the movements are supposed to be perfect, beautiful, with good form, strong. The martial artist will get fit and in shape from it. Self-defense benefits will come too, but maybe it's not the primary focus...

Just a though :karate:

I put "other". I was 7 when my mom put me on the waiting list to get into the class (8 when I actually got in) and I was absolutely convinced that if I learned karate Zordon would pick me to be the next Power Ranger (the orange ranger).

Thats exactly the same reason I got into Martial arts. Except I wanted to be the green one. Maybe one day I will get to play him :lol:

RW I think you should start another thread with that I would have replied but don't want to derail a good thread.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Do you think that most martial arts (for example, karate, taekwondo, kung fu and kempo) were actually designed as self defense systems?

Looking back at my shotokan days, I can't help but wonder things like the following:

- Why would you ever pull your hand all the way to your ear only to do a shuto uke (knife hand block).

-Why would anyone do a block by taking his/her hand all the way to his/her ear in order to start an ude uke (forearm block)?

-Has anyone actually tried a rising block (yodan age uke) with their hand starting on their torso and rising the arm all the way to the face?

These seem unfeasible because they just take too long. While a strike to your face only needs to travel from the other guy's guard to your face, your hand/arm needs to travel BACK to your ear or torso, then go FORWARD again and start the block, effectively doubling the distance. No matter how fast someone is, this greatly reduces chances of blocking the hit...

Or what about strikes?

-Why do we chamber punches? Why do we pull the opposite hand to the waist? Has anyone actually chosen to do knife hand (shuto uchi) or spear hand (nukite) strike in lieu of an old fashioned jab/straight punch?

I know the answers to this questions... in the case of the blocks, the answer is "in a real fight we don't really block like that". In the case of the chamber punch, it's the same, "we don't do that in kumite". In the cause of the unusual specvialty punches like the open hand strikes, the answer is "the apply to a limited and very specific range of circumstances" (like "what if you need to strike the opponent's inner thigh or underam?)

This is all fine but... then why do we have so many blocks and strikes like that all over shotokan/taekwondo and other things like that in other arts? And don't get me started about the stances...

Thing is, I've come to the conclusion that maybe many, many martial arts were not designed as self defense systems, but rather as arts... the movements are supposed to be perfect, beautiful, with good form, strong. The martial artist will get fit and in shape from it. Self-defense benefits will come too, but maybe it's not the primary focus...

Just a though :karate:

I posted this recently in the thread entitled define Effective.

It may help:

Taken from Roberto Danubio's Book Wado-ryu Karate-do -

Budo in Wado Ryu Karate:

"Budo is a term used to describe those martial arts methods adopted from Bujutsu (warrior arts, term used for all Samurai martial arts methods), existing under the aspect of "the way", (Do). The lethal Bujutsu combat techniques have been developed over centuries, however, it was only after being combined with the Zen philosophy in the beginning of the 17th century that they achieved an ethical content, thus becoming Budo (the way of the warrior).

Do is a principle of Asian ideology, the term originating in Japanese Zen Buddhism. Do can be translated as; way, path, maxim, teaching philosophy, direction, principle or method.

At the centre of every Asian path there is always the practicing of a skill. However the goal is NOT the acquisition of any particular skill, BUT the expansion of one's own potential and the search for and development of one' own capabilities and opportunities.

Training Goals

As in other martial arts, the training goal is NOT the acquisition of self defence techniques or the self satisfaction derived from exhibiting superiority over someone else. In Karate one strives to utilise one’s own capabilities and opportunities through the use of technique (waza). To achieve this one must first learn self awareness and the ability to think, and one must practice not to expend energy, but to transform it through movement."

And thats why I voted other - as I consider what I do as Budo and why I started.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

I started, and am primarily still involved, in ma for self defense primarily. There were other neat things about it, but that was the primary reason. To learn to fight.

I was luck in that I found a school at the outset where that was the focus. So I didn't have to deal with the problems listed so well by RW.

Now, since then I've leared to like other parts of the arts as well. And look beyond just the sd aspect. For instance, I love BJJ, and competing as well. So, not everything I work for that immediatly transfers to sd. There is still plenty of overlap, but my focus is to get good at BJJ for it's sake alone.

So, resons can and do change. One needs to constantly re-evaluate why they are training as they go to make sure you're working towards ones goals.

Other, but it's a bit challenging to really nail down. I started in my mid-20's, but always had an interest in martial arts while I was growing up. When I bought a house with a dojo less than half a block away I decided, "it's now or never!" As a kid I had a very romanticized view of martial arts, but by the time you're 26 those are pretty much reined in. I was already a triathlete and maintaining fitness, the Marine Corps instilled discipline and taught me how to fight. I figured it would be fun, in the way a good workout kinda hurts so good. Hmm...I guess I don't even know exactly what made me start. But I know why I stick with it; to explore an aspect of life that I otherwise wouldn't, and really it helps me focus. When I run or do other exercises my mind is free to roam and I can, and do, still think about the stress of life. When I'm practicing karate, especially sparring, it takes my full concentration and I can forget about everything else for a time.

I put "other". I was 7 when my mom put me on the waiting list to get into the class (8 when I actually got in) and I was absolutely convinced that if I learned karate Zordon would pick me to be the next Power Ranger (the orange ranger).

Thats exactly the same reason I got into Martial arts. Except I wanted to be the green one. Maybe one day I will get to play him :lol:

RW I think you should start another thread with that I would have replied but don't want to derail a good thread.

I second that...please start another thread.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

When I was young I wanted to do it because I thought it might be fun but my parents couldn't afford it. When I was a bit older (12 years old) my mom signed me up. She told me that she had, and I was like "what?", then she said "remember how you always wanted to do it." And I remembered how I had wanted to try it so I joined up and loved it.

Initially I didn't care about self defense, or staying in shape, or discipline, or anything like that. I just thought it was great fun, and I still think it is great fun. That's what has kept me going all these years.

My story is quite similar. When I was little, we could not afford for a martial art school, but I always did exercises by myself to keep fit. After I got into college, I wanted to do some activity that will both keep me fit and be useful, so I chose a martial art. The reason why I chose karate is maybe it was the most familiar one among other martial arts.

I also think it is great fun, and I don't know what I would be like if I had not started karate. It is a part of me that I will never be separated.